Monday, March 30, 2009

Wheel of the World

The past week was a busy one. On Monday night we went to Grandmommy and Haha’s house for dinner. They had won some wines at Cookin’ For Kids and they wanted us to come over and taste them and have dinner. We had a great time visiting on the porch during our “wine tasting” and Riley spoke a full sentence when he saw Grandmommy and Haha’s dog, Rose. He said “I see puppy” and we said “YES!” (We are thrilled that he is starting to speak in sentences occasionally, although the first sentence I ever heard him say was “You go bye bye” as he tried to shut me in my closet!) Of the 3 wines we tasted I surprisingly enjoyed the white, but not the red and then Chad’s parents broke out a bottle of Riesling that we had bought for them when we went to Germany last October. It was a wine we all knew and we loved drinking it and thinking fondly of our German sister, Katharina. After dinner Riley could not wait to get outside. Grandmommy took him and Riley wanted to play in Daddy’s Jeep. He really likes standing in the driver’s seat holding the steering wheel:

My Dad went to Houston on Monday for work, so we invited my mom, Nana, over for dinner at our house on Tuesday. Chad made pork chops, shells & cheese and steamed cauliflower and it was so good. Nana also had fun playing in her truck with Riley while Daddy cooked dinner. After dinner it was time for Riley’s bath and Nana stayed so she could say goodnight before she left. After his bath Riley usually runs naked to say goodnight to the person who did not bathe him that night. Tonight was no exception, however, on the way back to his bedroom, he decided he needed to make a stop at the coffee table and have a little sit on his stool to read a book:

Not 30 minutes after Nana left and Riley was put in his crib for the night we hear a thud from his room. Chad & I go running in, and Riley is sprawled out on the floor next to his crib. We are not sure what happened, or what he hit in the way down, but he was crying, I think more out of surprise than actual pain. The night before he kept reaching to a shelf near his crib and pulling things into his crib to play with: his temporal artery thermometer, his safety nail clippers and a bottle of baby lotion, before Daddy got smart and moved the bin that all these things were in off the shelf. I knew the day was coming that he would climb/fall out of his crib, but it still surprised me that the day was here. I think when he fell he was reaching for the bin again, but since I had pushed it out of the way he fell before he got it. I rocked him to sleep and then worried all night if he had hit his head on the way down. As I walked back to the living room from putting a sleeping Riley back in his crib, I assured Chad that I would buy bed rails soon.

As I am not much of a procrastinator, I went to Babies R Us the next day and bought Riley bed rails for the full size bed that has been in his room since before he was born. That night, with Chad’s help we set up the bed rails and boy was Riley excited! He was so excited that he wanted to get in the bed with all his clothes on and did not want to take a bath. I told him he had to take a bath and so he sobbed through the 5 minute speed bath I gave him as I promised him the whole time we would go right back to the bed. He didn’t even give Chad night-night kisses after his bath; he just headed straight back to his big boy bed. He did so great that night! He slept all night in the big boy bed without waking us up! We were so proud of him. Unfortunately, he did not do so well the next night. He woke us up crying at 11:15pm and nothing we did would console him. We are still not sure what the problem was but Chad & Riley ended up sleeping on the couch after watching an episode of The Wiggles sometime after midnight.

Wednesday was also a sad day for my parents. On Wednesday morning before my Dad could get back in town from Houston, their 13 year old dog Kobi passed away. He had been sick and not eating well for a couple of weeks and they were anticipating that this day was coming, but it was still hard on them nevertheless, especially because this was my brother Jake’s dog. I helped them by arranging for a pet cremation company to come out and pick up Kobi and his ashes will be returned to my parents. We know that Jake and Kobi are in Heaven looking down on us all. Here is a photo my parents had taken of Jake and Kobi in 1998, not long after Kobi became a part of our family:


On Friday morning I took Riley for his first eye doctor appointment. We had worried that he might have a problem with crossed eyes, or maybe the problem I had growing up, where one of his eyes doesn’t work as well as the other. Well, after an almost two hour appointment we found out that his eyes were developing normally and he definitely does not have what I had growing up! I think I was more exhausted from the appointment than he was though, after wrangling him for almost two hours!

On Saturday morning Riley & I woke up bright and early as we had a playdate scheduled with Ethan, who Riley goes to school with and some other kids that Ethan’s mommy, Krystal, knows. Usually Krystal has everyone over to her house, but this time she suggested that we take the kids to ride Thomas The Train in Grapevine. This sounded like a great plan, however the weather was not cooperating, as temps were in the 20s that morning with the wind chill. Before we left Riley climbed back in his big boy bed, where I got him to pause just long enough to show everyone how much he LOVES his bed!


Then we were off to Grapevine. We were on the first train of the day and after seeing how many people were there, we were happy we didn’t have to wait in line in the cold to board the train. We hopped on the train and thankfully found seats in the last heated car! The ride was only 25 minutes, but Riley and Ethan and Jack (another little boy on our playdate), had a great time. They played Thomas music and Riley danced and Ethan shared snacks with everyone and I got a few pics of Riley during the ride:

Here is one of Riley handing Ethan our train ticket:
(It was so cool to see the two of them be so sweet to each other)


After the ride, we killed some time in the gift shop where I bought Riley a t-shirt and some train bath toys and then we headed to Grapevine Mills Mall, where we killed even more time, but this time away from the crowds and the cold. We were killing time until lunch so we could take the kids to Chuck E Cheese. We got to Chuck E Cheese, where I have to say I was jealous of the other moms who could just watch their kids from a distance. Riley was such a daredevil, climbing moving rides from the outside, climbing the slide backwards…..where does he get it?!?!?!? So I ate my pizza standing up, while trailing Riley, and of course Riley was having WAY too much fun to even think about eating:

(Above) From Left to Right: Jack, Riley & Ethan


Riley's favorite ride was the Bob The Builder ride as seen in the two photos above.

After the playdate Riley was exhausted and this is what he looked like not 5 minutes after we left:


The rest of the weekend we spent hanging out at Nana & Papa’s. Daddy was working on an opera in Denton and so we like to hang out with Nana & Papa when we don’t have anything to do! On Saturday night we went to dinner at Red Lobster where Riley showed Nana & Papa how he likes to yell sometimes in public! If you put your hand over his mouth, he’ll stop while it’s there and as soon as you remove it, the yelling resumes. Usually we are in a loud restaurant where no one can hear, but it’s was pretty quiet in Red Lobster and I think Nana & Papa were a bit embarrassed!

On Sunday we had lunch with Grammy at Lucile’s where again Riley decided to mis-behave and this time Grammy was a bit embarrassed I think! Something tells me the terrible twos start before they actually turn two! I think it was hunger though, because once our food arrived Riley behaved much better! After lunch we ran some errands with Nana & Papa and then Riley went and played at Nana & Papa’s while they gave me a break for a bit to finish up some laundry and relax. I also decided to try my hand at making brownies from scratch for the first time ever. I think I did a pretty good job and I brought my creation over to Nana & Papa’s since they were feeding us dinner last night also. At dinner Riley made this funny face when eating his brownie and I told my mom that was his “shocked that Mommy made brownies from scratch” face:



He also thought his bib, which he doesn’t even wear anymore, made a really good hat. My mom says this photo reminds her of what I looked like as a baby:


Anyway that was our week and weekend! We are looking forward to Daddy finishing his opera in Denton so we can see a bit more of him before he starts work on the FW Opera festival and we are also looking forward to next weekend as we have some fun things planned!












No comments:

Post a Comment