Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Under the weather and hunting eggs

Thankfully, the past week has been a bit slower for us. We needed it as Riley started to get sick early this week. At first I thought it was just allergies, but then he got a really bad cough and we realized by Wednesday that he probably needed to see the doctor. Chad is such a great dad for taking Riley to the doctor and staying with him that afternoon until after his daycare’s naptime, when Riley was able to go back to school. Riley was being very difficult and I know Chad had a hard day with him, but I am thankful he was able to be there for him.

On Tuesday we went to dinner at Nana & Papa’s house and Jake’s “regular”, Lisa came over to eat also. We got Riley to say “Lisa” a couple of weeks ago and we kept getting him to say it as we said “goodbye” and headed home. I guess we tried so hard, that on the way home he said “Bye Bye Lisa” at least 50 times, just over and over again, sort of like a little song. I told Lisa this and she agreed that she is most definitely Riley’s girlfriend!

Towards the end of the week I also started catching whatever Riley has and my throat has been especially sore and I have been coughing also. I am trying to hold out on going to the doctor, but we’ll see how it goes.

On Friday Nana & Papa picked Riley up from daycare so that he could spend the night at their house and Chad & I could have a date night and also since we had plans in Dallas for Saturday morning. They took Riley to the park by our house to play and he seesawed with Nana:

And swung with Papa:

That night they went over to Nana & Papa’s neighbors, Matt, Lisa & little Maddie’s house. Maddie is 8 months older than Riley. They played in Maddie’s sandbox in their backyard:


On Saturday morning Nana & Papa took Riley to the store where he played with bouncy balls:

And hoola hoops:


And they bought him his own sandbox to play with when he is at their house:


On Friday night Chad & I had a date night and went to dinner at Mac’s on 7th, where we had never been. I had a gift card that I had been holding on to since Christmas and we decided to celebrate our 5 year wedding anniversary a few weeks early, since Chad will be working on the Opera Festival on our actual anniversary. At Mac’s we waited for a table on the patio and our waiter was great! We had a really good time and afterwards we went home and watched a movie we rented on Netflix. Unfortunately, I started feeling sicker so we went to bed early where I fought a fever for most of the night.

On Saturday Chad & I went to Dallas where we met our friends Hillary and Jarrett for brunch at Cyclone Anaya. It was so good to catch up with them, even though I was still feeling under the weather. I tried my best to suck it up and have a good time. We sat on the patio and the weather was wonderful! Chad even got a bit of a sunburn from sitting out in the sun!

Saturday night we went over to my parents house to celebrate their one year anniversary of the day they moved in to their house. My dad made fajitas and we sat on the back porch and watched Riley play with his new sandbox and request to be swung in the tree swing (which Chad was obsessed with getting level.) He also started saying a new word “apple” for when he wanted apple juice. This is great because before he would only say “milk” and “more” when he wanted a beverage and it is nice that he is getting more specific! Lisa came over also and she brought her little Pomeranian, Susie. Riley thought Susie was a cat and kept calling her “kitty cat” all night and we kept saying, “No, Susie is a puppy” and then Riley would say “puppy.” He just wanted to give Susie a kiss, but Susie was not too happy about that idea. I do think Riley was able to give her one kiss before we left!

On Sunday the weather got a bit colder and windier and we met Grammy, Nana & Papa for lunch at La Madeleine. I was kind of grumpy from not feeling well still, so I am sorry to everybody for my crappy attitude! After lunch we drove to some car lots so Chad could look at some cars and not be bothered by salesmen. We just finished paying off my car and so now Chad gets to buy a new car. We each have stipulations: mine - it must be a 4 door and Chad - must have a sun roof, cruise control, power windows and possibly be a hybrid. It will be interesting to see what we end up with!

After looking at cars, we headed to TCU for the annual TCU Alumni Easter Egg Hunt. We took Riley to this last year and this year we invited Riley’s cousin, Riley Scott and his mom and dad, Jill and Rich to join us. The hunt is very crowded and I warned Jill and Rich that they might need to grab up eggs for Riley Scott because the parents at this hunt are ruthless. Last year, Riley only got one egg! Riley was very impatient and could not wait for the hunt to start:



I scooped up 3 eggs for him, but he had fun following the crowd out onto the grass. The hunt is over pretty quick and afterward we got the boys together to open their eggs. One of Riley’s had a purple stamp in it so Chad stamped their hands:


Then the boys were off to start roaming the campus (or in Riley Scott’s case, dashing around - He’s a speedy little guy!) They roamed over to some flowers where we tried to get them to both sit and go through their baskets and take photos, but they are not very cooperative when it comes to posing:





After that, Chad led us over to Frog Fountain, which both Riley’s enjoyed, however, with the winds, the water was flying out of the fountain and it wasn’t long before Riley (and I) got soaked! We decided that was a good reason to get in the car and leave, so we got the boys to hug bye and Jill caught it on camera:

Contemplating a possible future at TCU:


And finally and update on the Riley and his big boy bed! He is doing so great! He sleeps in it every night no problem and he is so excited about going to bed each night. Sometimes he says “night-night” and requests to go to bed way before it is time. Riley has also found his first favorite TV show, The Wiggles. We started putting it on when we give him a breathing treatment because he will watch it mesmerized and sit still for the treatment and now we watch it at other times too. We Tivo it and so there are always at least 3 episodes on the TV. But this weekend we watched the same three episodes over and over. Chad keeps singing this song “Old Nantucker” and I have “Turkey In the Straw” stuck in my head most days. But it seems that Riley's favorite song is one we haven't even seen on The Wiggles. His seems to be "The Wheels on the Bus" and he requests that it be sung to him over and over!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sarah! Sounds like you had a great dinner with Chad, hang'n out with your folks and of course, I hope you are feeling better!! BIG ((HUGS)) Riley is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete