Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Pink Eye & Mud Puddles

On Monday Riley moved up to a new class at school. While we are sad to say goodbye to Ms Heather, his other teacher, we are excited that he was able to stay in the same class with his good friends Ethan, Aiden and John Aden. Riley’s class is all boys and Chad calls them the “fraternity” which they sort of are! We are just happy he gets to stay with his friends, especially since things are changing so much at home, we didn’t want them to change more at school.

On Tuesday my mom called to let me know that Grammy was being taken back to the ER. Her pulse/ox was low again and so they wanted to do more tests and see what was going on. She had some fluid on her lungs, but they think it can be treated with breathing treatments. The good news is that I convinced my mom to see about getting Grammy moved to a better rehab facility and on Thursday night they moved Grammy out of the hospital and to a new rehab hospital in downtown Fort Worth, which is so much closer to my mom and me!

Things at home are going so unbelievably well! On Wednesday night Carter slept from after his 9pm feeding until 1:30am, when I got up to feed him and then he went back to sleep until 5:30am when Chad got up to feed him. So Chad got to sleep from 10:30pm-5:30am and he was so shocked! Not every night is as good as that one though and Carter’s is trying to defy me putting him on any sort of feeding schedule. He is just hungry all the time!!! Thank goodness I am not breastfeeding or he would be latched on constantly I think! We finally just gave up on the schedule and decided to feed him when he is hungry and after tracking it for a day the funny thing was he was only eating a few ounces more than if we had him on our schedule, just sometimes he wants to eat 2 hours apart and sometimes 4 and sometimes 1 and sometimes 3. It’s crazy! I hope to move him to his crib and out of our room in the next couple of weeks and maybe then we can work on the schedule thing again! Riley is really taking to his brother and even held Carter for the first time while we were up in Carter’s room.



Thursday was such gorgeous weather and I was starting to get a little stir crazy so Carter & I went with Chad to take Riley to school. We took Carter in and showed him off and I got to see Riley’s new classroom. After that we ran to Target to pick up a few things and I had my first post-pregnancy iced coffee from Starbucks and it was so good! After that we went home for a bit and then we went to have some lunch. Then Chad went to the office for a couple of hours and then we had a nice night at home where I got to rock Riley to sleep. I am still learning how to find time for both my boys so this time with Riley was really nice.

On Saturday we got ready and went to see Grammy in her new rehab hospital. She was so excited to see us and we were equally excited to see her! We hadn’t seen her in over a month since I had been out on bed rest and then had Carter and been home recuperating myself. She got to hold Carter for the first time and it was the sweetest thing!





While we were there Riley insisted on holding Carter too and “helping feed” him, which meant that he sort of held Carter while I fed him.



On Saturday night we went out for a bite to eat with Kate & Elizabeth and had a good time seeing them before Chad & Kate had a big work event on Sunday. On Sunday Chad went to work for Kids Who Care’s Cookin For Kids event and my parents came over to help out with Carter & Riley. My mom was so excited to spend extended time with Carter and she stayed home with him while Papa took Riley & I to Walmart to pick up some things. At Walmart Riley saw a Dumbo kids ride, which he wanted to ride. I told him if he was a good boy he could ride it before we left. Well, he was good, so he got to ride it, but it sort of scared him since it moved side to side so he held my hand the entire time and this was his face:



I should have known something was up with his reaction to Dumbo and I did know that as we ran our errands Riley was running a low grade fever. Well, Sunday night was awful as I spent the first part of the night getting up with Carter and at 3am Chad went into Carter duty and I went on Riley duty as he was crying in his room. He had a cough and was still running a low fever so I slept in his bed with him until 7am. When we got up at 7, I was still exhausted as Riley insisted on talking to me and petting me and asking for water over and over from 3am to 5am before I finally gave him more Tylenol and he slept. Yesterday morning Chad & I knew that Riley needed to stay home from school and upon further inspecting we realized his eyes were not looking so good. There had been a case of pink eye in his class the week before so I feared that was what he had and after an afternoon trip to Dr Crawford, our fears were confirmed…Riley has pink eye. Ugh! He is now on antibiotics and needless to say we are washing our hands a lot in our house right now. Riley doesn’t really understand why he can’t touch Carter right now either. He thinks it’s a game to try and touch him, even though he knows we don’t want him to!

So Riley could not go to school today either, and is needing ways to use up his endless energy. Chad has been a great help with this. It rained hard yesterday while they were at the doctor and once they got home Chad let Riley play in the mud puddles out front and out back. Unfortunately, he was so excited in the backyard that he fell over in the mud and got a mouth full of mud:



But after we cleaned him up he wanted to go out again and Chad let him play in the mud puddles:







Today we took advantage of the gorgeous weather and hung out a bit in the front yard. Riley really loves playing in the wooded areas in our yard and likes to get his small rake or a broom or a shovel and get Chad one too so Chad and he can work in the yard together! I love it!



He sure is showing that he is his HaHa’s grandson as HaHa loves being outside also! Today Riley was being silly though and eating the leaves, so we ended up making him come in so he could eat a real lunch before going down for a nap. He was cracking us up during his nap yesterday because he took awhile to fall asleep and as he was sitting in his bed we heard him singing “Jesus Loves the Little Children” and the “ABCs”. It was the cutest thing and we were laughing so hard!

In the last week Carter’s plastibell from his circumcision and his umbilical cord both fell off so I could give him real tub baths. So far he seems to hate them! Here is his face after his first tub bath:



Riley helped me with the first bath, but we didn’t get pictures, but we made sure to for Carter’s second tub bath. Riley is such a good big brother and a great helper! He gets his Elmo bath toys and plays with them in the water for Carter! I think he is surprised though that Carter’s baths don’t last as long as Riley’s baths do!



I am just so in love with my two boys and, while I am overwhelmed with finding time for both of them I am so enjoying them both!



No comments:

Post a Comment