Friday, December 7, 2012

Hectic Holidays

If I do not just sit myself down and write this blog, I may never get this post written.  Hectic does not even begin to describe my life since Thanksgiving.  The week after Thanksgiving I went to visit my obgyn on a sick visit (boys who read this blog, this may be where you want to skip ahead.)  Over the past 2 years, my periods have been lasting on average about 2 weeks.  This means that I am bleeding for about half the month of every month.  Not only does that make a person tired, but I was also beginning to have pain in my ovaries.  Upon the urging of Chad and my mother I went to see the doctor.  After an examination and a sonogram, it was determined that I have fibroids that are pressing on my uterine lining, which are causing the long periods and could also be causing me to be anemic, which is why I feel so drained of energy.  Over a year ago, I tried progesterone pills and they did not really help.  I am allergic to birth control, so that is not an option, and even if it were the fibroid growth wouold only be slowed down and in 2-5 years I would be in the same boat I am now.  So my doctor suggested that I have a hysterectomy.  Now before you go and freak out on me, rest assured that my doctor tells me he will be able to do this surgery vaginally, I will only be out of work 2-3 weeks, I will retain my ovaries (which means the surgery will not force me into menopause) and best of all I will never have a period again!  The surgery is scheduled for about a week before Christmas so I have been frantically trying to get all gifting in order and get everything caught up both at work and at home.
 
This week Chad went to Austin to work on The Nutcracker with Ballet Austin so in addition to the above mentioned hectic-ness, I have also been playing single mom for the week.  On Tuesday we went to dinner with Kate and the kids after work.  On Wednesday my Dad flew home from China so we went to celebrate with him and my mom to welcome him home over dinner and last night I had a Cookin' For Kids committee meeting, followed by a PTA Board Christmas Party.  Exhausted doesn't even begin to cover it.  And this is all coming off of last weekend where I worked over 6 hours in the office trying to finalize a proposal.  Today I worked in the morning and then went to volunteer in the holiday store for Lily B.  I was so excited to get home and order pizza and just chill with the boys, but then work emails started flying and I ended up booking some last minute travel for my boss to go out of town on Monday.
 
I am 95% done with my Christmas shopping and am even wrapping gifts ahead of time as well.  I want to just be able to literally lay around and recover after my surgery and be as "stress-free" as possible.
 
Riley is beyond obsessed with Christmas.  I think it caught up to him at school this week as he had to pull two tabs (means he got in trouble twice) for two days in a row.
 
Here is a smidge of Riley's festive Christmas art (with a little Fall and patriotism thrown in for good measure):
 



 
And we can't forget Carter's art.  Now that he's in a new class at TLCC he brings home a lot more art work.  He also was singing Christmas carols the other night while he refused to fall asleep.  How blessed am I with Riley who has always gone to bed easily.  My little nightowl Carter was still awake at 10:30pm last night.  No wonder I'm so exhausted!!
 

 
However, Carter is so damn cute it hurts.  His latest obsession is wearing a pirate shirt to bed, complete with the pirate hat and pirate belt from his Halloween costume.  He takes the hat off to lay down in bed, but makes sure the hat is placed next to him on his pillow.
 


Last Saturday Riley had Museum School.  He loves going there so much and it's the only extracurricular he has asked to do and go figure, it's the one he likes the most!  This class was all about science and my little scientist had a ball.  We took this photo with the Grinch on the way out.
 
 
Also on Saturday night we went to dinner with Chad's friend Kate from TCU and her husband Michael whom we had never met.  We had a ball visiting with them, getting to know Michael and eating at Joe T's.
 
On Sunday while I was working Chad took the boys to the park.  Of course Carter refused to nap at home, but by the time they got to the park, he looked like this:


Thankfully Chad was still in town Monday and was able to take the Ellie, Cara and Riley to Pappas Burger for shakes after school.
 
 
One highlight of my crazy week at work was a admin teambuilding outing to A Piece of Work on Wednesday to paint.  We had a blast painting snowflakes and being out of the office together.
 

 
On Wednesday when Papa flew home he and Nana surprised Riley by picking him up from Lily B.  They then picked up Carter and took both boys to the museum for a bit before we met up for dinner.
 


 
 I think Papa was jet lagged.....
 
 
 This next week proves to be no less crazy.  More travel to book for work when I get in on Monday, company Christmas party and my pre-op appointments later in the week and Chad's in tech for his last show of this Christmas season.
 
Wish me luck as I trudge ahead through these hectic holidays.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment