Monday, December 14, 2009

As The Holidays Approach

On Thursday I arrived at school to pick up Riley and he came running towards me wearing a medal and yelling “I tee-teed in the potty!” I was so proud of him and Ms Carmen told me that he has been doing a great job. We worked all weekend on trying to convince him to go at home also. We hung the medal on the bathroom door and on Sunday he wanted to wear the medal so I told him he had to sit on the potty first. He did, but he did not go. It was really funny because Chad walked by while he was sitting on the potty and he yelled “Don’t touch Riley. I’m going potty.” I let him wear the medal anyway because I figure if we can just get him to sit on the potty at home, eventually he will go. He is very excited about going at school and told Chad that Ms Carmen takes him potty. Too bad Ms Carmen can’t also take him potty at home! We just keep trying to remind him that Mommy and Daddy can take him potty also, not just Ms Carmen. Ms Carmen asked Chad when Carter was due and then told us that her goal is to have Riley potty-trained before then. We think this is a great plan and are so grateful for all of her help! I am thinking that I might introduce Riley to big boy underwear soon and see if that will help this process out!

On Thursday night I had plans to go back to the movies with some of the girls I work with to see New Moon, which we missed a few weeks back. Amy was nice enough to host us all at her house beforehand for dinner and invited Riley also, as her daughter Georgia and Riley go to daycare together. Amy’s husband Travis made dinner for us all and Riley had a great time playing with all of Georgia’s toys. He would not eat a bite of food though as the toys were just too much fun! His favorites were a little doll in a stroller, a grocery cart, a train and a toy piano. He even went into the other room to get a chair to sit at while playing the piano! Even though he didn’t play with Georgia at all, he was not ready to leave when it was time to go. I dropped him off with Chad and then I met back up with the girls at the movie theater. It was a great girl’s night and I was glad we finally found the time to make it back to this movie.

Friday night we had a much-needed low-key night at home. I picked up dinner and Chad & I spent the night catching up on our Thursday night TV shows.

We had a jam-packed weekend of two first birthday parties to attend. On Saturday we had Caleb’s birthday party to go to. Caleb’s older brother Ethan is in Riley’s class at school. The party was at Celebrations and Riley had so much fun! He didn’t want to leave the party at all! He was a good boy ahead of time because he napped and was in a great mood at the party:



(Riley, Ethan & Mitchell playing bumper cars)


(This was the coolest little racing track)


(Whee!)




(Riley and Daddy in the bounce house)


(I love Riley's face here - proves how much fun he was having!)


After the party we decided to take advantage of Riley’s good mood and went ahead and did our grocery shopping. He tried to throw a fit again, but once we gave him a package of raisins to hold on to, he was better behaved. That night we again relaxed at home and watched some TV.

On Sunday morning we got up and I made some cinnamon rolls for breakfast. Riley did not want any. Instead he ate 3 pieces (!) of Eggo Cinnamon Toast. We bought these because they have been out of the Eggo Apple Cinnamon waffles at the store the past two times and boy did Riley love them! I finally told him he couldn’t have anymore after 3! I had Tivo’d a show for Riley that was on TV the night before called The Flight Before Christmas about a reindeer learning to fly and he loved it so much we watched it twice! And again in the afternoon! Do I know what my son will like, or what? I spent the rest of the morning doing laundry and ironing some clothes for the week. Riley got very confused when he saw the present for our second birthday party sitting on the table. I explained that it was Elizabeth’s present for her birthday and he said “Riley’s present?” and I made the mistake of telling him that his presents were under the tree. He then ran and got the biggest one and brought it to the table and wanted to open it right then. I then had to explain that he needed to wait to open it until Christmas. He was not too keen on that idea and accidentally poked a hole through the paper on his present. He was upset about that so I got tape and taped up the hole. When he wasn’t looking I put the present back under the tree. I told him that he could help Elizabeth open her presents at her party and he seemed to be okay with that idea. It makes sense now why forever growing up my parents’ tree was always bare underneath until Christmas morning. Can’t stop curious kids sometimes!!!

At noon we headed over to Jason and Kate’s house for Elizabeth’s first birthday party. Her mom had planned a fairy party and suggested that people come in costume. Riley was very overwhelmed by all the fairy-people at first and I think wondered why it wasn’t just him and Elizabeth playing. After the party he told me that all the people were dressed as butterflies. True to my promise he did get to help Elizabeth open her presents and we had a good time at the party:

(HaHa & Grandmommy in their fairy garb!)


(Grandmommy, Liz & Riley)


(Jason and the fairy Elizabeth)


(Mmmmm - first birthday cake!)


(Yummy!)


After the party we headed home so Riley could take a nap and Chad took one also while I got totally caught up on all my TV shows. Last night we again rested at home and watched the fabulous season finale of Dexter. Chad goes into production this week so it was nice to have a semi-relaxing weekend as I am sure we will need it heading into the holiday weeks ahead.


No comments:

Post a Comment