On Monday night after dinner Chad made peppermint milkshakes for dessert. Chad LOVES Blue Bell peppermint ice cream and they only have it seasonally so it is a real treat! Not sure how he convinced our picky eater to try some, but before I knew it they were sharing a shake!
Last Wednesday my company hosted our Christmas lunch at Cabo Grande. I had a great time visiting with my co-workers and eating lunch and I was so stuffed afterwards! That same day Riley’s Grandmommy & HaHa picked him up from daycare early and took him to the museum to play. He had a great time and has talked about going to the museum multiple times since then. They told me that he had a lot of fun this time in the grocery area of the children’s section of the museum. He would load up his cart, check everything out and then a little girl who was playing also would re-stock all the groceries and they would start all over again!
Thursday evening I was so thankful to have my parents’ help in doing a little Christmas shopping. Chad likes to wait until Christmas Eve to do all of his shopping, but that overwhelms me and I have been slowly crossing gifts off my “to-buy” list. Some I caved and bought online, but there were some I just needed to shop for in person. I could not fathom taking Riley, my huge pregnant self, and his stroller to the mall and then add to that bags of gifts bought at the mall. So my parents agreed to join us. I thought I was doing so good and shopping so fast and I looked down at my watch and realized it was already 15 minutes past Riley’s bathtime and we hadn’t even eaten dinner. Of course, Papa insisted that we stop at one of the kids rides in the mall before we left, so we looked for that first and luckily found a small carousel and Riley rode each of the characters on the carousel once. He had a great time and his smile really was worth staying at the mall an extra 10 minutes.


(You can't beat this smiling face!)
(Sorry for the blurriness - iPhones don't care for subjects in motion)On the way out of the mall we passed by Santa and Riley wanted to go see him. Papa told him that we couldn’t because Santa had to go check on his reindeer and Riley said “I want to see reindeer!” So then Papa told him that the reindeer were on the roof and we couldn’t go up there. Luckily, that seemed to do the trick and we were soon in the car headed to grab some food to take home and eat before Papa quickly helped get Riley through the bath while I hurried to make some Chex treats for Riley to take to school the next day and for me to take to work.
On Friday Riley had his holiday parties at school. Chad went and I think when Riley saw him he was ready to go home, not party, so Chad had to convince Riley to stay and party, but then they did leave once the party was over. I met up with them at home and then Riley & I went over to Nana & Papa’s to spend the evening with them since they left for a cruise the next day. We had a great time playing at their house and Nana even played “horsie” with Riley since my stomach won’t allow me to do it.
Friday night I had horrible insomnia. Chad went out after his show with friends and I could not get my body to go to sleep until he got home. I am such a mom! So by Saturday morning, when Chad had to be at work at 8am and Riley woke up at 7:30am, I was still tired. I sucked it up though and Riley and I got ready and then delivered a package to the people who we bought our house from. We have lived in our house for over 5 years but we still occasionally get mail for them. They did not move far and so I called first and we went by to drop off the package and visit for a few minutes. It was good to see them and they were so happy to see Riley! After that I decided to go ahead and stop at the Albertson’s by our house to pick up a few things to get us through the week since we were already out of milk at home. I made the mistake of assuming that all Albertson’s have the cool race car carts. Well, the one by our house doesn’t and I had already told Riley they did, so when we arrived and they didn’t have them I ended up having to have him sit in the back of the cart with the groceries. He did okay, even though he asked to get out of the cart multiple times. I got him to stay in by asking him to help me look for the next thing on the list and then when we found it I handed it to him and then he put it in the cart. The Albertson’s did have a small carousel outside and so I also used that as a bribe throughout the store. It worked and on the way out Riley rode the carousel. It had three horses on it and so he had to ride it three times. (Thanks Papa, for starting this tradition!) Thank goodness I had enough change!!
After the store we went home where we saw Chad for about half an hour, ate some lunch and then Chad headed back to work and we headed to Nana & Papa’s house to take them to the airport. After our last trip to the airport when Riley did not understand why he was not getting on the plane also, we did not mention the words “plane” or “airport” at all. Riley fell asleep in the car on the way there and woke up as my parents got out of the car. He then stayed awake the whole way home and while I did get him to get in bed for about an hour after we got home, he did not lay down, but rather sat up and played and called out for me occasionally. So after an hour I got him up. By this point I was so tired from my insomnia the night before and Riley was cranky from not really napping, so I started to get really emotional. I called Chad to see if he would make it home for dinner and when he told me he was already eating with friends from work, I started crying. I felt so stupid and Chad tried to offer to take Riley to work with him, but I knew that all Riley and I really needed was sleep so I declined. I made it through the next few hours and then I gave Riley an early bath and he was asleep in my arms in the rocker before I could even lay him down in bed. I tried to go to bed early, but the insomnia kept me up until Chad got home just before 10pm, which was not too bad. So I did manage to get a better night’s sleep Saturday night.
Yesterday, Riley woke up about 7:45am, and Chad got up with him while I stayed in bed for another half hour or so. We spent the morning at home and then Chad went to work, while Riley & I met up with Grammy for lunch at Lucile’s. Riley behaved relatively well at lunch until our food arrived when he insisted on sitting under the table eating my bacon. He would not even take a bite of the pizza he said he wanted. I tried everything to convince him to get back in his seat, but eventually I just left him under the table so I could finish my food. I made him get out once we were paying the bill and he threw a bit of a tantrum. I knew he just needed a nap and I was never more thrilled to get him home and in bed. I told Grammy that if I wasn’t 30 weeks pregnant I would have done a better job of reprimanding my child.
Chad got home from work around 5pm and Riley was still napping. He woke up not long after and we went out front to play with his cars in the driveway. We then decided to call Kate, Jason & Elizabeth and see if they wanted to join us for an impromptu dinner at Pappasitos. They did and we had a great time dining with them and catching up! Chad carried both Elizabeth and Riley out of the restaurant and it was so cute! Once home, Chad bathed Riley and we watched the season finale of Survivor:Samoa. I again had insomnia last night and I just don’t know what to do about it. I am so uncomfortable in bed so I just toss and turn all night, not to mention the two or more times I have to get up to use the restroom.
Speaking of restroom, Riley is doing a good job of pee-peeing in the potty at school, but still hasn’t done it at home. I asked him on Saturday if he wanted to wear underwear and showed him a pair, but he told me he wanted a diaper and told me that only Ethan (who is potty trained) wears underwear. I told him that he could wear underwear also, but he still refused. It’s a work in progress, this potty-training thing… He is growing up in other ways though as we got a note from school last week that there will be no more sippy cups in his class. I don’t know why I was so shocked by this, but I read the note probably 5 times before it sank in. They now drink from disposable cups and yesterday we gave Riley some juice in a small cup and I have to say he is already a pro! He did so good and drank up every drop!
I am so looking forward to the holidays and the four day weekend ahead. I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and I’ll post again next week!
No comments:
Post a Comment