Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Summer Shoes

The boys' first week with Nana went pretty well!  Riley was in mini camp each morning and Carter got to spend his mornings just with Nana.  He's still getting used to his summer nap schedule and one day last week he fell asleep in the way home from camp and stayed asleep even when Nana put him in her bed.  (And yes, Kori's sleeping right beside him!  Sweet dog!)


Riley had a fun week at mini camp.  On Day 3 he was singing the songs and he even made a new friend, Molly.  He and Molly were inseperable during camp.  On Wednesday we got a preview of one song in the show and Riley and Molly are sitting right beside each other!



The mini camp show was on Saturday and we all went to see it.  In the first number (the one we'd seen a preview of) Riley wasn't onstage.  He did come out later, but seemed very shy.  I asked him later why he didn't come onstage at first and he said because he was backstage resting his legs. Haha!  Riley said his favorite part of camp was learning the songs so we may switch to mini musical theatre class next Fall instead of Creative Dramatics.

Riley's graduation present arrived late last week.  I got Riley (and Carter) summer shoes (aka TOMS).  I'd been wanting to get them each a cute pair of TOMS and I let Riley pick out his fabric and he chose red dinosaurs and Carter chose blue dinosaurs.  Carter calls his "dinosaur shoes."  Riley really loves his and wears them everyday.  They are probably a size too big but he would not let me return them.  Luckily they velcro over the top so they stay on.  Carter (whose real shoe size is only one size smaller than Riley's, doesn't like his TOMS as much and goes back and forth between his TOMS and his Spiderman shoes.



On Saturday after the mini camp show, we went to Keller & Mattie's 5th and 2nd (respectively) birthday parties at Pump It Up.  The boys had a great time playing and seeing their friends from school.  Carter's been asking about his friend Holden a lot lately, so I've got to get a little guy playdate together soon!





Saturday evening Chad & Kate were supposed to have to go to a KWC dinner, so Jason and I were planning to get the kids together for dinner and to play.  At the last minute Kate and Chad got released from going to the dinner and were able to join us.  Jason's parents were in town and we got to visit with his mom too (his dad was working).  We have the best times at Kate & Jason's house laughing and visiting around their dining room table (as Jason says "once the kids are done eating") and this time was no exception!  I adore these friends and we are so lucky to have them in our lives.

This week the boys started swimming lessons with Mrs. Kirk (who teaches at the same school as Nana).  Both were very shy the first day, but Carter did better Day 2 when Chad took the boys.  Riley is having a real issue with swimming.  He does not want to put his head under the water and is really not wanting to do what Mrs. Kirk asks.  He's also being just a defiant at home and with Nana, so we are doing a lot of summer adjusting.  New schedules, less routine, not seeing friends as much.  It's a change that I'm sure he's having to get used to.  Hopefully as the summer goes on, it will get easier for all of us (just in time for school to start!)

Here's some pics of Carter on Day 1 of swim lessons:



We're going to do another week of lessons in July so maybe Riley will get the hang of swimming this summer.  We'll see...

Carter also has been a toot lately.  He's learned how to get out of his big bed and the other night he got out 5 times before finally staying in it.  The first time he did it, I was upstairs putting Riley to bed and I heard Carter's feet on the floor, but he wouldn't respond when I called out to him.  I found him hiding silently in my dark walk-in closet, around the corner where I couldn't see him.  He is so unlike Riley who is petrified to go in my dark closet!

Yesterday, Grammy had a procedure done to hopefully help her hearing so Nana got a day off from the boys to help her mom.  Chad stayed with the boys and after swim lessons they went to see Madagascar 3 with Liz & Zachary and their nanny.  They had a great time and got to eat at the Movie Tavern and have ice cream after!  What a fun summer day.




No comments:

Post a Comment