Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Riley Can SWIM!!

The summer is really flying by!  On July 15th we went to the KWC International Dinner.  Katharina and her students made the best thing on the menu: german waffles.  They were so good and sweet that they didn't even need syrup.  Olivia, a sweet 5 year old, who knows Riley from KWC was obsessed with playing with him.  He was not as enthused about playing with her.  She was adorable and tried to convince him to eat at dinnertime (good luck with that!) and then told on him to me after he left the table, that he didn't eat.  She was awesome!  Finally, he agreed to play a little Connect 4 with her, although it was more like take turns putting in your color of chip and who cares about actually connecting 4!



Chad was watching Wyatt Friday the 13th, as well as Monday and Tuesday the 16th & 17th.  Zuilma got some awesome shots of nephew and uncle while they were up at the theater.  My nephew is so adorable!!!
 



Nana and the boys did not lack for activities last week.  Riley was in swim lessons every morning and every afternoon they did something fun.  On Monday they spent time in Nana's classroom.





On Tuesday they went to the Museum.  Nana told me that she wanted to take them to the 2nd floor at the museum to see the Grossology exhibit.  Riley tried to convince her that there wasn't anything upstairs that they would want to see, but Nana told him otherwise.  Unfortunately, the exhibit talks to you as you walk by different pieces and it totally scared Riley, which in turn made Carter scared, so Nana didn't get to see as much of the exhibit as she had hoped.
  








Tuesday afternoon they stopped at the library to return their books and DVDs and got in a little play time as well.
 


Riley came home Tuesday night with his toes sticking out of a giant hole in his dinosaur TOMS.  Yes, I must admit, I did put them in the washing machine twice and the dryer once, which is probably a no-no, but the shoes stunk to high heaven and were turning brown.  GROSS!  I knew once I saw the hole that they were too far gone, so Katharina and I took the boys to Nordstrom after dinner to get Riley some new shoes.  The color and fabric selection at Nordstrom wasn't the greatest for boys, but Riley ended up choosing plain black TOMS (after we convinced him that the pink sparkle, red sparkle, and black sparkle TOMS were girls' shoes), which I'm thankful for, as they hopefully won't show dirt as much.
 

Carter was a cranky face when we tried to leave him at home with Chad while we went to Nordstrom.  He came along and as you can see he really enjoyed the trip.....


On Wednesday Nana took the boys to the park after swim lessons.  They look so BIG playing and climbing around.  This makes me think of when Grammy used to take Jake and me to the duck pond by her house.  Great memories!
 








On Wednesday night, Nana watched the boys late for us so we could take Katharina to see the Amphibian Stage Productions final dress rehearsal of The Understudy.  Before the show we went to dinner.  Katharina had been wanting to try the Little Germany Restaurant, which I had pulled a review from the paper about last year and saved for her.  When we drove up, we were the only car in the parking lot.  Katharina was really unsure about eating there, but hopped out of the car to take some photos of the building.  Chad looked the restaurant on his phone and after determining that it got good reviews, we decided to chance it.  Katharina was so giddy about the restaurant and we laughed about the menu.  Chad chose the Jagaer Brat and Katharina and I both got the Saeurbraten.  I did not like it at all.  I should have known when the waitress said it had a "dill gravy"...It was really sour!  I did my best, but would have liked what Chad got better.  Nevertheless, it was quite an experience!
 



On Thursday the boys went to ride the Forest Park Mini Train with Nana.  I love how happy they look!
 

On Friday swim lessons officially ended for the summer.  Here are the boys with their swim teacher, Mrs. Kirk.  I am ecstatic to report that RILEY LEARNED TO SWIM!!!
 

He made great strides everyday and really learned a lot and by the end of the lessons he was able to swim across the pool.  I am super proud of him for all his hard work.  Now he wants to go to Schlitterbahn and asks daily when we are going to take him there.

Carter was super sad to find out that he wasn't doing swim lessons last week and at the end of the day when I would ask him what he did he would say "I can't swim."  Poor boy....even though Nana took him to the park while Riley did lessons, that wasn't enough!  Little water bug just wanted to be in the water!  So because Mrs. Kirk is so sweet, she would let him swim for 10 minutes after Riley's lesson and before her next lesson.  I know this made his day as he didn't seem so sad when I picked him up those days.
 



On Saturday I took the boys to get haircuts and then we took Katharina to lunch at Panera Bread.  Riley did not want to eat anything (go figure).  I even got him a grilled cheese and asked for them to put honey on it.  He still wouldn't eat it.  Carter though the Go-Gurts were the bomb so he ate both his and Riley's, but wouldn't touch his sandwich.
 


Little did I know, Riley was getting sick.  He had a very low fever that afternoon and complained about his legs hurting.  I took Nana, Katharina and Kate to a movie and afterwards we picked up dinner to take to the Loveladys.  We had planned to stay and play, but Riley was miserable, so we headed home.  By then his fever was over 103, but thankfully Tylenol and a bath helped him feel good enough to sleep through the night.  By Sunday he felt much better and so that afternoon I took the boys to see Ice Age 4.  It made my day to sit between my boys at the movies holding both of their hands.  At one point I had both of them sitting in my lap.  And I loved laughing with both of them.  What a good way to end the weekend!

I was excited last week when my Chicken Billy "Anacoana" print arrived at my office.  These colors soothe me and really speak to my soul and I knew I wanted the piece hanging in my office space.  I've already gotten positive comments about it from co-workers!
    

Katharina took some really amazing sunset shots this weekend and even though I didn't see the sunset in person, I wanted to post them.  They remind me that God is watching over us all.  I met last week with a genetic counselor to do a genetic risk assessment for cancer and thankfully at this point in time she does not recommend that I need any genetic testing.  I am still pulling a bit of information for her, but at this point this is a very huge weight lifted off of my shoulders.  I am petrified that I will die young or get cancer at a young age and at least knowing that Jake's cancer was probably not genetic is a huge help to my stress level.  I will continue to get colonoscopies every 5 years to monitor myself, but I am content in knowing that I am doing all I can to monitor my current health.
 



Yesterday Riley swam for 5 hours at Nana's house!  Talk about pruny fingers and toes!
 


And Carter continued the hilarious summer saga of sleeping in strange places.  Nana went to check on him and found him on the floor in front of the bathroom door!  At least he brought his pillow with him!


And I've already started to think about school supplies for next year.  Some moms on Facebook are making me feel behind by talking about what they have already bought for their kids, so I asked Riley what kind of backpack he wanted for next year.  He said a penguin one.  Well, I searched and searched online, but couldn't find one I liked, so I ended up at Target where I found a cool t-rex one.  And thankfully, Riley loves it.  He has shown it off to his Nana and Aunt Kate and last night he gathered up a bunch of toys for his "job" and I suggested that he pack them in his backpack, so he did and then today he took them to Nana's for his "work."  Love that boy and his imagination!
 

Carter thankfully is not stuttering as much this week, so apparently his mouth can now keep up better with his brain.  I also had to get Carter new shoes this week and sweet guy is in a size 9 shoe and Riley is only in a 10!  I've got quite a big footed guy in Carter!  

Sorry for such a long post this week with so many photos.  Hopefully, when the summer is over and things get back to normal, I'll be able to keep up a bit better!


No comments:

Post a Comment