The last couple of weeks have been tough for me. 1) It's been cold as all get out and I truly despise cold weather. To cope I have not been running and I've been eating comfort foods out the wazoo. This means that A) I haven't gotten my adrenaline going, which always seems to improve my mood and B) I've gained a few pounds from the pastries, soups and coffees I've been ingesting on a regular basis. I'm really ready for warmer weather so I can get out there and RUN. 2) Chad was in San Antonio all last week, which makes for a long single-mom week of getting the boys up and ready by myself each morning and also picked up, fed and bathed by myself each night. Doesn't seem like much, but I truly like doing these things with my partner and when he's gone it makes for a very long week. The good news is that Chad had a very successful week lighting an opera for the San Antonio Opera and made lots of new and valuable work connections that will hopefully continue to pay off in the future. 3) I started a new Young Adult group at the WARM Place and it was a tough start for me personally. I had a substitute co-facilitator and our group was the largest I have ever facilitated so the first night was tough for me. 4) Riley had some issues with another student in his class last week and we had to have a last-minute conference with his teacher to come up with a solution. Luckily his teacher is AMAZING and she quickly solved the problem. Unfortunately, maybe due to this issue (or maybe not) Riley got a 40% on his spelling test last week and had to do a re-take this week. This led Chad & I to start discussing getting Riley some extra help outside of school with his reading and spelling. 5) Last weekend I also was contacted by Imerman Angels to be an "angel" for a 34 year old woman whose brother was dying from cancer. We talked a few times over the weekend and her brother passed away last Saturday. This organization was a huge help to me as Jake was dying and I wanted to one day return the favor. While talking to this woman it brought up a lot of feelings I hadn't thought about in awhile about the last few days of Jake's life. By last Friday I was feeling lonely and emotionally spent. Thankfully, my parents are ALWAYS there for me and after I texted them asking for some company, they both came and hung out with me and we talked on my porch enjoying one of the nicer weather days we've had lately. While I've always had a very talkative relationship with my mom, I'm also super comforted when I'm also able to have those same kind of deep, emotional talks with my dad.
I'm feeling much better this week. Chad is back, my 2nd week of the WARM Place felt like I put back on my favorite sweater - my co-facilitator was back and the group was smaller and more intimate. I also had a healthy well-check at the doctor yesterday where I found out that even though I haven't run in a few weeks, my "good" cholesterol has made marked improvements over the last year, which my doctor attributes to the running. Made me proud.
One of my favorite days of the week is a Saturday morning at home making cinnamon rolls for breakfast and sitting at the table with a warm cup of coffee and my sweet Riley.

I took this random photo of Carter looking like he's reading Riley's book. Little man sure was interested in the words on that page!
Last weekend our best friends FINALLY moved into our neighborhood so I spent the weekend helping them unpack. The kids did a great job playing together and Kate & I made great progress unpacking boxes. We took a lunch break on Saturday for some Mellow Mushroom. YUM!
After lots of practice and helpful hints from Riley's teacher on how to study Riley got a 100% on this week's spelling test. To say we are proud is an understatement.
Now if it could just be 75 degrees and sunny it would be a perfect day!





No comments:
Post a Comment