Friday, March 21, 2014

My Little World Traveler

Riley and Chad spent Spring Break in Italy.  They went with Kids Who Care and 12 days before they left, Riley had me make this countdown calendar.  He was so excited about the trip which really helped because I was super emotional and nervous about him going since I wasn't going also.


All smiles at the airport getting ready to go through security.  Carter was super clingy at this point and really wanted to hug Daddy one more time, but they had already gotten mostly through security so that could not happen.  I'm just proud that I did not cry at the airport!


Still in DFW Airport, but they found a scorpion lollipop (gross!)

  
After a connecting flight in Frankfurt, they were on to Milan and then their final destination (Reggio Emilia and Novellara, Italy)


 From what I hear, Riley was a superb traveler and human being the entire trip.




 

All the travelers were home housed in Italy and Chad & Riley stayed together at the home of Federico, an Italian conductor who is the same age as Chad.


It wasn't long before Riley's jetlag caught up to him and he took a brief nap before dinner.


 They did a lot of sightseeing and got to tour where Parmesean Reggiano is made in Reggio Emilia.  YUM.






And they toured a musem, which had some amazing dead animals and skulls.  I'm sure Ry was in HEAVEN.



  
No trip to Italy is complete without lots and lots of gelato.  Riley's favorite flavor combination was lemon and chocolate.






Riley was very excited about meeting the mayor and these photos make me smile as I think she was equally excited about meeting Riley!






Food was Riley's biggest struggle while traveling, but he ate swordfish and LOVED it.


And while touring Florence, he got a taste of home with some McDonalds. (I can't judge because I ate McDonald's in Japan when I went on my first exchange trip!)

  
They did some shopping and Riley got himself a large toy that he then carried around Florence.  (Not the pig, the bag....)



  
Chad enjoyed eating tons of pizza.

  
And they had a blast getting to know Federico's family.  His parents were in love with Riley and they all had a great week.








The last couple of days were spent getting ready for a show to open a theater festival.  During a late night ficus call for Chad, Riley got a little sleep at the theater.

  
By day of the show he looks to be Chad's right hand man.




I'm so glad Chad & Riley got this opportunity and got to connect with Federico and his family.  Riley now says he has an Italian grandmother and grandfather.  I look forward to getting to know them all one day as well.

  
Carter spent the whole week asking about Riley and Daddy, but by the time we drove to the airport he fell asleep in the car!

  
But he woke up in time to see them come out of customs.

  
Riley did great on the plane ride home and took a relaxing bath before heading to bed.  He and Chad were slightly jet-lagged the next couple of days, but not too bad.


And of course, the first night home we had to assemble Riley's Italian toy.  Super cool!


I'm very proud of my little world traveler.  He did a great job and while I really missed both he and Chad, I'm very grateful they had this experience together.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment