Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Riley Turns 7

I keep failing to report that Riley learned to tie his shoes!!  Of course after months of frustration, Mrs. Kirk spent about 5 minutes with him on it after one of his swim lessons and it totally clicked!!  


I haven't been sleeping well lately and my sweet Niki girl is part of the problem.  She keeps getting up a lot in the middle of the night and waking me up over and over.  I've started just picking he up (not as easy as it sounds) and putting her back in our bed, otherwise, she would just pace back and forth.  She is now 12 years old, so she's an old sweet dog now.


I've also upped my running distance this summer.  Last summer I was running about 1.75 miles each time, but starting in June, I upped that to 2.5 miles.  Hope ran with me most days this summer and Jason did when he could.  Hope has headed back to college and Jason and I just started a new route that is 3 miles.  I'm feeling very accomplished with this additional mileage.

The braces are not fun, but I'm plugging along, dealing with it.  I will be so ready to get them off though, and I don't even have the bottom ones on yet!  The worst is the raw feeling in my mouth and how dry my lips get.  Well, and eating.  That's quite a challenge also!

The boys have been spending their days with Chad, which means my house is not usually spic and span when I get home - sign of a well played day, I guess.  The other night, all of the dragons were having a meeting in the living room.

  
My Memaw recently moved back to Fort Worth and is living with my parents.  I am very happy to have her back in town again, although I know the boys will miss going to her "farm."  

Nana recently brought over little trinkets for the boys and Carter got a set of stacking boxes.  He loves them and plays with them every day.


I did a huge toy purge on Saturday and I know I've been keeping control of their toys because it only took me about 2 hours and it has taken me all day in the past.  We put 2 large boxes of toys in the garage to sell in the next neighborhood garage sale.  It feel so good that all their toys have a place and will be played with.

I've almost gotten everything ready for the First Day of School, but still have a box of new school uniforms to wash and go through.  We will hopefully get teacher letters next week and Meet the Teacher is next week also.  Looking forward to starting both boys at Lily B.  I showed Carter his little red embroidered Lily B sweater (just like Riley's) and he was very excited about it!

Riley turned 7 on Sunday, but got to start his birthday celebrations on Friday night with his annual Birthday Sleepover at the Lovelady house.  He got to take a special trip to Toys R Us with Uncle Jason to pick out a special Lego toy for them to put together that night.  While they shopped Kate, Carter, Liz & Zachary decorated the house.

  

Riley got to choose the dinner menu and he picked steak and oranges.  Although, there was some broccoli also and all the kids ate a bite so they could have a cupcake.
 

  
Uncle Jason got silly with the cupcakes and before he knew it all the kids followed suit with icing on their faces.



  
And then it was time for Legos.

  
The little guys tuckered out quicker than the big kids and headed up to bed.


But the big kids and Uncle Jason persisted and finished the Lego boat!



  
On Sunday I made pancakes for Riley's birthday breakfast and he wore his birthday hat from Mrs Olazaba.

  
It is hard for me to believe I have a 7 year old child.  So much has happened in the past 7 years, both good and bad, but I would not change a single thing.  My sweet Riley is quite the cuddle bug (I hope this lasts awhile still), but is also learning to assert his independence and can get quite frustrated when things don't go his way.  He's also become very adept at putting together Lego sets and has a lot of patience to work on them by himself.  He also has started watching some of the same family-friendly TV shows that Chad and I do, such as Survivor and America's Got Talent and it is really fun to enjoy some "grown-up" TV with him.  He's at a really fun age and I love hanging out with him so much.
 
Sunday night was his birthday party, which we have co-hosted for the last 4 years with his friend, Aiden.

  
We couldn't get in the pool until 6:30pm so the boys started a water gun fight to stay cool until then.

  
But soon enough we were all in the pool having a great time.





I've been working on a big project at work and got in early yesterday to get a head start and saw this beautiful sunrise behind the clouds.

  
Today would have been my Grammy's birthday.  Last year on this date we spread her ashes in the lake at Cass Lake.  What a great memory.

Yesterday, we had two brothers over to play with Riley and Carter.  They had so much fun they didn't want to stop playing to go to dinner, but eventually we convinced them to go to Mellow Mushroom.  They had so much energy and the conversation was awesome.  There was a Mona Lisa painting on the wall of the restaurant and the big kids knew it was called the Mona Lisa and that Leonardo DiVinci painted it, but wanted to know why it was famous, so Chad looked it up on his phone and told them.

  
But in addition to a bit of art history, they all also turned into ninjas.  What a blast!


No comments:

Post a Comment