Today was my latest doctor’s appointment for the baby. I was VERY nervous because the last time we went I was so early in my pregnancy that all the doctor could see on the sonogram was a sac. I was extremely anxious to have another sonogram today and see the baby in there and see the baby’s heartbeat!
We got in the appointment without having to wait for very long at all and the doctor was in doing the sonogram before we knew it! He tried to trick me and say “We saw two babies in there last time, right?” I knew he was joking and said “Stop!” but I think Chad’s heart stopped a little! All kidding aside, there was one perfect little baby in my tummy! Dr. Watson took the baby's measurements and then turned the sonogram screen so that Chad & I could see. Dr Watson said it looked sort of like a shrimp at this point and he pointed out the head and the baby’s bum. He also laughed and told us that the baby was shaking it’s rear a bit! He pointed out the heart beating and I could pretty much feel my anxiety melt away! He also told us the baby was measuring 18mm long which puts me a little further along than he thought, so he said even though my due date was February 28, that based on measurements it would be February 26. I was a bit confused by this though because he was saying that I was 8 weeks along and I thought I was 8 weeks and 4 days along, and then the sonogram said 8 weeks and 2 days. Whatever, I know the due date doesn’t mean all that much as Riley’s was August 18 and he was born on August 10 and in the end I would rather him be moving the date up than moving it back!
Before we knew it the appointment was over and as we left, the nurse handed me the first picture of our baby. They had it framed in this cute paper silver frame and it said “Baby’s First Picture.”
We got in the appointment without having to wait for very long at all and the doctor was in doing the sonogram before we knew it! He tried to trick me and say “We saw two babies in there last time, right?” I knew he was joking and said “Stop!” but I think Chad’s heart stopped a little! All kidding aside, there was one perfect little baby in my tummy! Dr. Watson took the baby's measurements and then turned the sonogram screen so that Chad & I could see. Dr Watson said it looked sort of like a shrimp at this point and he pointed out the head and the baby’s bum. He also laughed and told us that the baby was shaking it’s rear a bit! He pointed out the heart beating and I could pretty much feel my anxiety melt away! He also told us the baby was measuring 18mm long which puts me a little further along than he thought, so he said even though my due date was February 28, that based on measurements it would be February 26. I was a bit confused by this though because he was saying that I was 8 weeks along and I thought I was 8 weeks and 4 days along, and then the sonogram said 8 weeks and 2 days. Whatever, I know the due date doesn’t mean all that much as Riley’s was August 18 and he was born on August 10 and in the end I would rather him be moving the date up than moving it back!
Before we knew it the appointment was over and as we left, the nurse handed me the first picture of our baby. They had it framed in this cute paper silver frame and it said “Baby’s First Picture.”

Chad & I both really like my doctor this time around. After I had Riley I switched OBGYN doctors because we weren’t too fond of the doctor I had with Riley. Dr. Watson is always so positive and nice and at the end of my appointment he laid out the next 3 appointments for me: In 4 weeks (Aug 20) I will go back and we will listen for the heartbeat, 4 weeks after that (Sept 17) we will go back and get spina bifida and downs syndrome testing, and 4 weeks after that (Oct 15) we will have another sonogram and at that point I will be over 20 weeks so hopefully they will be able to tell the sex! I really like having a doctor who lays it all out for you, so you are not guessing at what happens next. He ended the appointment by asking if we had any questions, but we didn’t. It seems so second nature, having done this before that I don’t have a lot of questions. I am not surprised by the fact that I am tired sometimes. I am happy that my nausea doesn’t seem quite as bad as the last time around. And any other symptoms, I understand and am not surprised by. Hopefully the next 4 weeks will fly by and we’ll be hearing the heartbeat before we know it!
No comments:
Post a Comment