Last Tuesday Riley had a dentist appointment. This was only his 2nd time to go to the dentist. Last time Chad went with him, so this time I took him so I could meet the dentist. We found our dentist by asking Riley’s pediatrician for a referral. One of the people she recommended was my old pediatric dentist, but he had moved across town and I didn’t want to drive that far to take Riley to the dentist. The other recommendation was a woman who was now officing in the same location as where my childhood dentist used to be. It is upstairs from Riley’s pediatrician and across the hall from the dentist Chad & I go to, so very convenient. We got the 8am appointment and since it was so early, I decided I could leave my Booty Duty with Riley’s extra diapers in the car. Wouldn’t you know it, we were the first people in the waiting room and soon thereafter, two young girls arrived, each with one parent…..and soon thereafter, I smelled poop. I knew my child was the culprit but I also knew I didn’t have time to take him downstairs and change his diaper before they called us back. So Riley was the stinky boy at the dentist. Luckily, since he is so young, they don’t do a cleaning so the whole appointment lasted about 10 minutes and then we were done. They more like interrogate the parents about his brushing, flossing and drinking habits. They are real sticklers about Riley having juice. I water his juice down a lot because my child almost always refuses to drink water, but the dentist was still not happy with that. I figure if he gets a cavity one day, then I’ll start worrying about juice. Right now, I am his parent and I don’t think we go overboard on the juice, so I’m just gonna let it slide and still try to get Riley to drink some water, if possible.
I did pretty well with working out last week, making it to the gym 3 times! I flaked on Thursday’s spin class to go to Jason’s Deli with Amy & Sarah from work, but I totally made up for it later by taking a walk with Chad, Riley and the dogs. I was feeling so cooped up from all the rain that I decided that we would go on a walk even though when we walked outside it was sprinkling. I just prayed and prayed as we walked that it would stop raining and when we made it to our normal turnaround point the sprinkles stopped! Riley was very cute on the walk. He rode in his stroller a little over halfway, but then he wanted to get out and help Daddy walk the dogs. He didn’t understand that they were too strong for him and would pull the leash out of his hands! He also wanted to help push his empty stroller. Needless, to say the walk back took a lot longer but it was more entertaining!
Riley and Daddy also had a lot of fun earlier in the week playing in the rain. With all the rain we had gotten our driveway had developed a very large muddy water puddle at one corner. Riley wanted to jump in the puddle and one night Chad decided to let him:
I did pretty well with working out last week, making it to the gym 3 times! I flaked on Thursday’s spin class to go to Jason’s Deli with Amy & Sarah from work, but I totally made up for it later by taking a walk with Chad, Riley and the dogs. I was feeling so cooped up from all the rain that I decided that we would go on a walk even though when we walked outside it was sprinkling. I just prayed and prayed as we walked that it would stop raining and when we made it to our normal turnaround point the sprinkles stopped! Riley was very cute on the walk. He rode in his stroller a little over halfway, but then he wanted to get out and help Daddy walk the dogs. He didn’t understand that they were too strong for him and would pull the leash out of his hands! He also wanted to help push his empty stroller. Needless, to say the walk back took a lot longer but it was more entertaining!
Riley and Daddy also had a lot of fun earlier in the week playing in the rain. With all the rain we had gotten our driveway had developed a very large muddy water puddle at one corner. Riley wanted to jump in the puddle and one night Chad decided to let him:
I laughed and told Chad that this was why boys have Daddys because I would never let him do this. Of course he was wearing a nice shirt so we got that off of him as soon as I could and after rinsing all his clothes in the sink I immediately put them in the wash (shoes included) where everything ended up washing up nicely. Riley jumped so much that he jumped all the water away and then could not understand the next day that the puddle wasn’t there any longer.
Riley also seems to be making the transition back to baths after his couple weeks of showering. Chad just said one night that they were taking a bath and Riley went along with it and has since let each of us bathe him without any issues. Maybe he just missed playing with his toys?
Our weekend was busy, but good. Friday night we met up with Kate, Jason & Elizabeth for dinner at Uncle Julio’s where we all split fajitas and they were really good! Riley ate a lot of tortillas and it was funny to hear him say “tortilla”. He was really fascinated with the tortilla machine and it took a minute for Chad to convince him to sit at the table instead of standing at the tortilla machine all night!
I was feeling pretty wiped out by Friday night and I knew that Chad & I were planning on cleaning the house on Saturday so I hoped that I was going to get some of my energy back overnight. Saturday morning we woke up and I seemed to have more energy and we started cleaning. We recently cut back on having a cleaning lady and I have to say I really miss having someone clean my house, but it is satisfying to clean it myself and feel that sense of accomplishment. Chad & I have a good system set up and we were able to clean the whole house, top to bottom in about 4 hours, with some distractions. Riley convinced Chad that he needed to let the dogs in while we were cleaning. Chad thought he wanted to play with them, but no, he just wanted them to come in so he could go out in the backyard and play uninterrupted, so then Chad had to stop cleaning and go outside to watch him. I decided that Riley was going to derail all our cleaning momentum so I called my parents who were thrilled to have Riley come over and play so Mom & Dad could clean! They even offered to be our monthly cleaning babysitters so it looks like Riley will be going to Nana & Papa’s every cleaning day….at least until he is old enough to clean some things himself!
By Saturday night the rain made me feel defeated. After cleaning for so long, the house was looking really good, but then a freak, fast rainstorm blew through Saturday evening and when I let the dogs in to eat I was unable to get their paws dried before they ran all muddy through my freshly mopped kitchen. After the rain stopped Chad took them out front to go to the bathroom. Niki went, but Princess did not. Instead about half an hour later, when I was sitting on the bathroom floor bathing Riley, Princess walked in and started peeing on the bathmat right next to me. I spanked her and yelled “NO!” so she went in the hallway outside the bathroom and finished her business. I was so mad. I had just washed that bathmat earlier in the day and back into the wash it went. I got a little hormonal and just lost it! I started bawling just sitting by the bathtub. While sometimes I adore Princess, most times I am totally overwhelmed by her puppy-ness. And I found her and made sure we adopted her so I blame myself for my frustration. I know deep down that she will grow up and she will calm down, but right now being pregnant, she just overwhelms me sometimes!
Yesterday was a nice day. We woke up and got ready and I took Riley to the grocery store with me while Chad stayed at home and did some work on his computer. Riley did so good at the store and I was REALLY impressed with him. After we got home and unloaded the groceries, he played in the front yard until it was time to meet Grammy, Nana & Papa for lunch at Lucile’s. I was so excited at lunch when Riley ate some strawberries and blueberries out of his fruit cup because I had just bought some of those at the store and wasn’t sure if he would eat them! After lunch we headed back to the house, where Riley went down for a nap and Chad went outside to work on the yard. He did a great job and our yard looks really nice! After that Riley woke up and Chad headed to the theater to strike the Amphibian show. I called my parents to see what they had thought of the show as they had gone to the final performance and they were headed up to my mom’s school to install some small soccer goals my dad had made for the elementary kids. They offered for us to join them so they picked us up and we headed up there. Riley played on their playground and had a great time:


(When Riley saw the stairs, which look really different, he went "Ooooo, stairs!")

(At first he told me he was too big for this boat. That was until Nana started pushing him around the playground in it. Then he fit just fine!)
It took a lot longer than expected to get the goals up and netted and by the time we left it was Riley’s bedtime and we hadn’t even eaten dinner. We ran through the McDonald’s drive-thru and got Riley some chicken nuggets and apples. He ate EVERY BITE! I was so surprised! I guess if he doesn’t snack after nap and then eats late, he is REALLY hungry! When we got home my dad came in and helped bathe Riley and then we watched a bit of the Cowboy game before my parents headed home.
Riley also seems to be making the transition back to baths after his couple weeks of showering. Chad just said one night that they were taking a bath and Riley went along with it and has since let each of us bathe him without any issues. Maybe he just missed playing with his toys?
Our weekend was busy, but good. Friday night we met up with Kate, Jason & Elizabeth for dinner at Uncle Julio’s where we all split fajitas and they were really good! Riley ate a lot of tortillas and it was funny to hear him say “tortilla”. He was really fascinated with the tortilla machine and it took a minute for Chad to convince him to sit at the table instead of standing at the tortilla machine all night!
I was feeling pretty wiped out by Friday night and I knew that Chad & I were planning on cleaning the house on Saturday so I hoped that I was going to get some of my energy back overnight. Saturday morning we woke up and I seemed to have more energy and we started cleaning. We recently cut back on having a cleaning lady and I have to say I really miss having someone clean my house, but it is satisfying to clean it myself and feel that sense of accomplishment. Chad & I have a good system set up and we were able to clean the whole house, top to bottom in about 4 hours, with some distractions. Riley convinced Chad that he needed to let the dogs in while we were cleaning. Chad thought he wanted to play with them, but no, he just wanted them to come in so he could go out in the backyard and play uninterrupted, so then Chad had to stop cleaning and go outside to watch him. I decided that Riley was going to derail all our cleaning momentum so I called my parents who were thrilled to have Riley come over and play so Mom & Dad could clean! They even offered to be our monthly cleaning babysitters so it looks like Riley will be going to Nana & Papa’s every cleaning day….at least until he is old enough to clean some things himself!
By Saturday night the rain made me feel defeated. After cleaning for so long, the house was looking really good, but then a freak, fast rainstorm blew through Saturday evening and when I let the dogs in to eat I was unable to get their paws dried before they ran all muddy through my freshly mopped kitchen. After the rain stopped Chad took them out front to go to the bathroom. Niki went, but Princess did not. Instead about half an hour later, when I was sitting on the bathroom floor bathing Riley, Princess walked in and started peeing on the bathmat right next to me. I spanked her and yelled “NO!” so she went in the hallway outside the bathroom and finished her business. I was so mad. I had just washed that bathmat earlier in the day and back into the wash it went. I got a little hormonal and just lost it! I started bawling just sitting by the bathtub. While sometimes I adore Princess, most times I am totally overwhelmed by her puppy-ness. And I found her and made sure we adopted her so I blame myself for my frustration. I know deep down that she will grow up and she will calm down, but right now being pregnant, she just overwhelms me sometimes!
Yesterday was a nice day. We woke up and got ready and I took Riley to the grocery store with me while Chad stayed at home and did some work on his computer. Riley did so good at the store and I was REALLY impressed with him. After we got home and unloaded the groceries, he played in the front yard until it was time to meet Grammy, Nana & Papa for lunch at Lucile’s. I was so excited at lunch when Riley ate some strawberries and blueberries out of his fruit cup because I had just bought some of those at the store and wasn’t sure if he would eat them! After lunch we headed back to the house, where Riley went down for a nap and Chad went outside to work on the yard. He did a great job and our yard looks really nice! After that Riley woke up and Chad headed to the theater to strike the Amphibian show. I called my parents to see what they had thought of the show as they had gone to the final performance and they were headed up to my mom’s school to install some small soccer goals my dad had made for the elementary kids. They offered for us to join them so they picked us up and we headed up there. Riley played on their playground and had a great time:


(When Riley saw the stairs, which look really different, he went "Ooooo, stairs!")
(At first he told me he was too big for this boat. That was until Nana started pushing him around the playground in it. Then he fit just fine!)It took a lot longer than expected to get the goals up and netted and by the time we left it was Riley’s bedtime and we hadn’t even eaten dinner. We ran through the McDonald’s drive-thru and got Riley some chicken nuggets and apples. He ate EVERY BITE! I was so surprised! I guess if he doesn’t snack after nap and then eats late, he is REALLY hungry! When we got home my dad came in and helped bathe Riley and then we watched a bit of the Cowboy game before my parents headed home.
Last week two family members celebrated birthdays: Happy Birthday to my cousin Jill and Happy Birthday to my Memaw!!! I love you both!!
On a final note, I do have hope, both for Riley’s ability to eat diverse foods, as well as the possibility he might be more photogenic. Case in point: One night this past week Chad decided to have ice cream for dessert. Riley usually won’t eat ice cream (or much of anything Chad & I are eating), but he ran after Chad yelling “Ice Cream!” so Chad made him a bowl. They both sat at the table and Riley actually ate it! It was Blue Bell banana pudding ice cream so I’m not surprised Riley liked it! I grabbed the camera and when I said “Say Cheese!” he smiled the cutest smile ever! So I’ll leave you with the sweet image of my two favorite guys smiling over bowls of ice cream.
On a final note, I do have hope, both for Riley’s ability to eat diverse foods, as well as the possibility he might be more photogenic. Case in point: One night this past week Chad decided to have ice cream for dessert. Riley usually won’t eat ice cream (or much of anything Chad & I are eating), but he ran after Chad yelling “Ice Cream!” so Chad made him a bowl. They both sat at the table and Riley actually ate it! It was Blue Bell banana pudding ice cream so I’m not surprised Riley liked it! I grabbed the camera and when I said “Say Cheese!” he smiled the cutest smile ever! So I’ll leave you with the sweet image of my two favorite guys smiling over bowls of ice cream.

No comments:
Post a Comment