I hope everyone had a great week ringing in 2010! I am so excited that the New Year is upon us! For one thing I will have Baby Carter this year!!! 8 more weeks to go and they could not go fast enough! I got my pregnancy massage on Saturday and it really helped that day for my back pain. The therapist told me afterwards that I really needed that. I guess all the knots in my shoulders and upper back were a telling sign! I felt like I was floating afterwards and had to remind myself not to do too much after, even though I had gobs of energy and felt like I could have taken on the world. I guess my new year’s resolution, at least for the last weeks of my pregnancy, is to remember to take downtime for myself in addition to getting all that I want accomplished before Carter arrives.
I did just that this past week! Riley spent Wednesday and Thursday with his Grandmommy and HaHa and he spent the night there on Wednesday. Chad & I took advantage of our child-free evening and invited my parents to the West 7th Movie Tavern to see Sherlock Holmes. We had a great evening there and I think we all enjoyed the movie. I wore my flat shoes again and I have decided that these shoes are the culprit in my swollen feet. The only times I have had swollen feet are the two times I have worn these shoes! I am either going to stop wearing them, buy some arch supports for them, or do what I am doing starting today. Chad suggested that I stop wearing my heels and has been suggesting this for weeks now. The only shoes I have that look good with my office clothes are heels so he also suggested that I wear my tennis shoes to and from work and change into my heels at the office. All weekend I wore only my tennis shoes and then today I started Chad’s suggestion. So far, I must admit that the walk to the car is more comfortable for me (although I do still have quite a waddle!) Looks like my tennis shoes are going to get quite a workout in the next couple of months so I guess I should probably look into buying a new pair relatively soon!
On Thursday I only worked a half a day and then I met my mom and dad for lunch at Red Lobster. It was my mom’s birthday and we had a nice time eating, even though the temperatures outside were quickly dropping! We made plans after lunch to run some errands, but then Chad called and asked if we would rather see the movie Avatar that afternoon. We shortened our errands to a couple of stores and met up with Chad at the movies. It was a 3D movie, which I was not too keen on at first, but my eyes adjusted and I rather enjoyed it! I have no idea how they did the technology of the movie and would love to see a making of! After the movie Chad went to pick up Riley from Grandmommy & HaHa and I went home to feed the dogs and gather our stuff to go to dinner at Kate & Jason’s. We got there and ordered some Mama’s Pizza and Kate & I left to pick it up. Riley was unbelievably entertaining that evening and was giving us endless things to giggle about! He wanted to play in Elizabeth’s room and she has this giant animatronic horse in her room that Riley got a kick out of riding. True to cowboy style, he made sure to tell the horse, whose name is Buttercup “yeehaw!”
(Uncle Jason was so sweet to show Riley how to be a cowboy!)



On Friday we had a low-key day at home. Riley surprised me that afternoon though. He told me that his diaper was hurting him and after telling me this a couple of times I suggested he put on underwear. To my surprise, he agreed! Of course, he was very particular about which pair of underwear, and after finding the right train ones he wanted, we put them on. He knew he needed to let me know if he needed to go potty as he mentioned this as soon as they were on him. We went to sit on the couch and Daddy walked in the door soon thereafter where we shocked him with our news. However, a few minutes later Riley got up and said “poopy” and Chad tried to get him to go potty. Unfortunately, he refused and this resulted in an accident in his pants. Thankfully, it was not a “poopy,” but Riley was not too keen on putting on another pair of underwear and has only worn diapers since. Again, I have not pushed the issue and I know he will get there in his own time. I am just proud we made this first small step in the right direction!
On Saturday, after my massage and Riley’s nap we went with Chad up to Bass Hall to put away some things he had been working with over the last week. Riley was intent on being a little helper (or I guess you could say “conductor” as he insisted on wearing his train hat!) and helped Chad wheel his cart to the shop room:
After Bass we headed to the grocery store, where we had a relatively pain-free shopping experience. Not sure what was different, except that as we headed in Chad let Riley stand on one of the big red balls outside of SuperTarget, while I headed in to use the bathroom. When I met them at the carts, they were picking out the perfect one and Riley insisted that Daddy push him. He did great in the cart, putting his grocery treasures (bananas and Pokemon macaroni & cheese) in the cart with him. We were so proud of him for behaving! I just wish we could figure out what the secret is, so every week is as good as this one was! That night Chad made beef & shrimp fried rice for dinner and it was soooo good!
Riley made us giggle again yesterday! I was putting away laundry and Riley comes walking from our bedroom to the living room, picks up his small rocking chair and starts carrying it back to our bedroom. I gave him a few minutes to do whatever he had planned and then I headed into the room to check on him. He had set up his little VTech Tote & Go laptop that we got him for Christmas on a bench in our room and needed a “desk chair!” When I got in the room, he informed me he was working, as he typed away on his laptop:

(Like father, like son!)
Yesterday Chad headed to the Dallas Cowboys game with his dad, brother and Jason. They all met up at our house to load their tailgating supplies into one car. Riley was so excited to see all of the guys, but he was really not excited when they all left for the game and left him home with Mommy! It was heartbreaking to see him crying in the driveway as the guys drove away. He’ll be big enough to go to a game before we know it, but yesterday was hard. So we filled our time by going to lunch with Nana, Papa & Grammy at Lucile’s. Riley was again on his best behavior at lunch and sat in his seat like a big boy and ate almost an entire waffle! Maybe it helped that Nana tried to teach him how to cut his waffle like a big boy! After lunch Riley took a nap and when he woke we went to Nana & Papa’s to help them take down their Christmas decorations. Riley was again upset upon seeing the guys’ cars outside, but soon forgot his tears once we got to Nana & Papa’s. We took all the decorations down and then Papa made some chicken for dinner while Riley read a book on tape:

(The book he is "reading" used to be mine when I was little, along with that ancient tape player!!)
Little did I know the guys had left the Cowboy Game at halftime. They had party passes, which means standing room only, and this is what their view looked like:

(The girl's expression in the bottom left sums up this photo perfectly!)
As soon as I found out they were home I hurried to get us ready to go see Daddy. I thought Riley would be so excited as he had missed Chad so much all day, but he ate three bowls of Trix cereal for dinner as if time was of no issue. He ate really well yesterday so I don’t know if he is having a growth spurt or what! It was all breakfast foods he ate, but I liked seeing him eat well anyway! While eating mom & I started talking about Jake’s baptism outfit, which Carter is going to wear at his baptism and when mom went to get it, it was in drycleaning plastic with a small pink dress I wore to my uncle’s wedding when I was two. Well, Riley saw this dress and was determined to wear it. I was in no mood to fight him, so I put the dress on over his clothes and we went home to show Daddy. Chad, thankfully, was not upset about the dress and told Riley it was pretty. Riley took his bath and I thought the dress obsession was behind us, but it turns out that it was not. Riley requested that I lay with him in bed for a bit and then requested that he wear the dress, so I finally ended up putting it on over his pajamas. He woke up twice last night crying. I went in to him at 3:15am and he just wanted to be covered up by his green blanket and then when he cried at 3:45am Chad went in to him. Chad ended up sleeping in his bed with him and when I left for work I saw that Riley was no longer wearing the dress. Turns out he had gotten hot, but then he requested to wear the dress again this morning when getting dressed with Chad. Chad was about to call me and see if I would be upset if he sent Riley to school in the dress, but was able to distract him and the dress stayed at home. I know that little kids can go through a stage where they are obsessed with the other gender’s toys, etc. I also know that they play dress-up at his school and so I am pretty much not fazed by Riley’s obsession with this dress! It sure is funny though and I’m sure he won’t like to hear about this story one day…
On a final note, please keep Chad’s family in your prayers as Chad’s grandfather, Troy, passed away yesterday. Chad and his grandfather had not been close in many years, but the passing is hard on him and his mom nonetheless and my heart goes out to them and his other family members that are grieving as well.
And one more photo, of our cute little dinosaur in his dinosaur pajamas!

RAWR!!!!


No comments:
Post a Comment