My sweet baby, Carter, just keeps growing up on me. His latest obsession is using a real cup to drink out of. I have pretty much given up on trying to give him a sippy cup at dinner because he won't drink out of it. He will push it away and grunt and gesture towards an adult glass, so we compromise with a plastic kids size cup. He still drinks out of sippy cups at breakfast and at school, but at dinnertime that's out of the question. He does pretty well with a regular cup, although we have had a lot of spills. We have discovered that if the giant puddle of milk (how does just a half cup in such a tiny glass make such a giant puddle?) makes it to the middle of the table, that it will go down the crack and drip straight onto the floor, which means we end up crawling under the table pretty much every night. Last night he spilled twice in a row and so we forced a sippy cup on him, which he was none too happy about, but our cleaning lady came yesterday and this Mom was slightly annoyed that her freshly mopped floor was now covered in milk...twice.
One of the really good things about Carter wanting to use a real cup is that it has also sparked Riley to use a real cup more often. Riley sure did (does) love his sippy cup, but he's been using a real cup more and more, now that Carter is also. Riley's favorite cup is this yellow mug that has his name on it. He likes it when I am drinking coffee out of my mug while he is drinking milk out of his.
On Saturday the boys were super spoiled by getting to go to the park twice in one day. Chad took them in the morning while I went and got a haircut and then we both took them in the afternoon. In the afternoon, the Hayes' met us at the park and we had fun visiting with them, even though Holden & Carter act like they could care less about each other. We know that one day they are going to be begging to play together and at some point will probably attempt sneaking to each other's houses, which are only 1 block away from each other. Riley insisted that he and Carter go to the park as superheroes, so he wore his yellow "Batman" cape and Carter wore Riley's Spiderman cape.
Chad also brought bread to feed the ducks. There were over 100 wild ducks at the duck pond and Chad said in the morning there were over 250. There were also little fish in the pond that also ate the bread.
Carter though it would be best to eat the bread himself so he sat on a bench and munched on a heel of bread.
And occasionally he would yell "quack, quack" at the ducks.
Right after the park, we headed over to the McCracken's house to bring them dinner and visit and get to hold sweet baby Madi (born Oct 20). She was so sweet and tiny and in between me getting her to burp and preparing dinner, I did not manage to get a single picture of myself holding her. I did get a couple photos of the boys playing. Riley had a lot of fun playing with Riley Scott's toys, expecially dressing up as a fireman.
But boys will be boys and eventually the fireman (Riley A) and the policeman (Riley S) were fighting over a toy gun.
That night when we got home it was Chad's night to bathe the boys and when I walked past the bathroom, here is what greeted me:
Carter wearing goggles to brush his teeth! Crazy baby! But oh so cute! I have a feeling a certain little boy who will be 2 this summer, might just learn how to swim!
On Sunday I was able to row for a couple of hours while the boys napped. I was asked to row in the "bow" position on a double skull, which meant I was in the instructor seat (the rear seat) of a two-seater skull. This meant I had to make all the calls and also steer the skull. Overall, I did pretty well, but I did run us into a giant weed on the riverbank once, that we managed to get out of. I didn't realize how difficult it would be to row bow, and I am still sore from Sunday. My right hand is bruised on the palm and my arms are still a bit sore. I did feel a great sense of accomplishment though and gained a lot of confidence in myself and my abilities. Chad tried to bring the boys to the riverbank to see me row, but by the time they got there we were pulling our boat out of the water. Instead he took them grocery shopping, while I went home and did some housework and bathed the dogs (which come to mention, is also contributing to my soreness!)
For dinner on Sunday Chad made waffles and some bacon and he also wore his new apron from Memaw!
I also wore one of the 3 aprons that Memaw made me last night while I baked a pumpkin spice bundt cake for my work's Thanksgiving Feast. (Thank you to Bridget for having Critters & Crayons guest post on her blog, because that is where I got this awesome recipe!) My apron had gingerbread men on it and Riley really liked it and told me that he wanted to wear it when he got bigger like me. I got a picture of my bundt, but not a picture of myself. (and now, thanks to Chad, I can't stop thinking about the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding, every time I write or say the word "bundt")
Riley has also been growing by leaps and bounds the last week or so. First off, he has eaten more new things in the last week than he has in months. He ate corn, salmon, and sour cream chicken enchiladas, all of which were a big step for him. I keep telling him that vegetables will make him strong and so when he ate the first bite of corn, when he still had it in his mouth, he made big muscles with his arms! He also was really excited about eating the fish and wanted to see the fish skin. I had to explain that we don't eat that part, and he wanted to know why. Before I coud get to the table that night he had a huge bite of salmon in his mouth and was saying "Yummy, Mommy!" so I have hope the boy will have a diverse palate one day!
Riley's imagination is also growing! The other night he had me help him pack a small bag for a trip to "Shagraladda" and in his small bag we put a lollipop, a Batman ring, a ruler, and a host of other small items and then he lead me around the house, and into Carter's room, where he sat on the footstool of the glider, while I sat in the chair and then we rocked and that meant we were going really fast on the train. Last night he told me that he likes to "rumble" and then bent over, and rocked his arms back and forth and told me that's how you "rumble." He also has been singing so many new songs that he is learning at school. They've got a new music director at the boy's school and I don't know what he is doing, but it's working!





















No comments:
Post a Comment