Last Friday night my best friend, Tracy, took me out for my birthday. Yes, it was a little belated, but we had to plan this excursion in advance, because she took me to A Piece of Work. It's where you get to paint a masterpiece and drink wine while you do it. I picked a night where we were recreating a Van Gogh masterpiece. It's BYOB, so you show up with your drink of choice and they provide all the supplies.
Here is my blank canvas, ready for the genius of my paintbrush:
I was really nervous at the beginning that it would be hard and that I would be too competitive with myself and frustrated if I did not do well, but I had a really great time!
Here is my masterpiece halfway through:
In the meantime, Tracy resorted to finger painting, to get the effect she wanted. I could not stop laughing.
Which meant that in the end, my hands looked like this:
And Tracy's looked like this:
It's funny because in real life I am so hard on myself and follow the rules, but while painting I was completely relaxed and a quick painter and not worried about mistakes. Tracy on the other hand is much more relaxed in real life, but while painting she was anxious and worried about messing up. We couldn't figure out what that meant about us!
And here's my final masterpiece. Chad was super impressed and is going to hang my art in his office. I'm pretty proud of myself also.
On Saturday morning we got up to do a little yardwork and I started pulling weeds in the backyard. I was pretty sore still from rowing on Thursday, so this only added to the pain. Thankfully, this little guy surprised me and scared me into stopping my yard work:
The picture doesn't do him justice. He was HUGE. And I completely freaked out. I knew he was not on me, but it sure felt like he was. The boys on the other hand, all crowded around him, before scooping him up in the shovel and moving him away. I have a lot more weeds to pull before Easter weekend when we are going to lay some sod, so I'm nervous this guy has a lot of brothers and sisters out there.
Also over the weekend, we discovered a lump on Carter's tongue. This is the best photo I could get of it.
Chad and I did not remember Carter biting his tongue, but I did remember that at daycare he hurt his mouth a week before and so I thought maybe that was where it came from. We called the doctor and made a Monday morning appointment. Turns out sweet boy has a hematoma on his tongue. The doctor told us to watch it for a week and that if it got bigger or didn't go away she might have to refer us to an oral surgeon. Luckily, today it already looks smaller.
On Sunday afternoon we went to a super fun Circus Birthday Party for Riley's friend, Ellie. There were circus games, popcorn, animals, pony rides and so much more! Riley rode the pony over and over, but only the blue and green pony. He would not ride the pink pony. I think he rode more times than any other kid there!
Since the party he's been pretending to be a purple pont named, Sparkle that kids can ride on. And Sparkle has now morphed into a unicorn covered with jewels.
Carter also rode the pony once and he didn't care if he rode the pink pony!
Carter also had fun petting the miniature donkey. Don't worry about the hand in his mouth. He's also eating candy.
Last night Grandmommy & Haha joined us for dinner so we could hear about Grandmommy's trip to Albania and Germany. She also bought presents and we had a great time catching up.
Carter's vocabulary is really picking up speed and we are having an easier time understanding him. Last night he read me stories and I was so impressed with his rendition of "Yummy Yucky!"
Riley had to learn a hard lesson tonight about being nice to our friends and not lying. It turns out he threw sand in a friend's face at school. After school he told me he had "lots of accidents" at school, but didn't share all the details. He did mention this friend's name and when I was on Facebook tonight I saw a post from this friend's mom and used my intuition to realize that maybe Riley wasn't telling me everything. I asked him what he did and he lied before finally telling me the truth. He will appologize to this friend tomorrow and for tonight he had to go to bed and think about what he did and he did not get to watch TV or read books before bed. He cried a lot and it was hard to hold my ground, but I did and I think the message got across that he can't be mean to his friends. Being a parent (and being a 4 year old) is hard stuff.....











No comments:
Post a Comment