Tuesday, June 23, 2009

When Impulse Buys Are A Good Thing

Last week’s swim lessons were okay. I took Riley by myself on Tuesday because Chad had to work and that was quite a feat to arrange. I changed into my swimsuit at work and then picked up Riley from daycare. Across the street from his daycare is a McDonald’s so we went there for a quick dinner, which meant Riley took 40 minutes to eat 4 nuggets and some apple slices. Then I changed him into his swim clothes in the back of my car in the McDonald’s parking lot and off to swim lessons we went. At swim lessons he was more interested in playing with the swim toys than in actually doing what the teacher asked, but I did dunk him under the water once and he held his breath great (although I think he forgot to close his eyes).

Thursday’s class was a different beast. We were upstairs in the big pool and the water in that pool is colder than in the downstairs pool and I don’t think Riley cared for that much, or maybe he just didn’t care for class. He cried and struggled through most of class whining and wanting to go to Chad and then when Chad had him, whining and wanting to go to me. He was not interested at all in having anything to do with class. However, after class he perked right up and wanted to play in the water. Go figure!

Our weekend was busy, but not as busy as usual and I had a good time accomplishing some errands with Chad. We woke up on Saturday morning and ran some errands to Lowe’s, Walmart (more on the awesome $5 impulse buy there later in this blog) and Princess’ vet to pick up another month of heartworm preventative and flea/tick preventative. In the past month Princess gained 4.5 pounds. She is now 18.5 lbs! She does not like the process of getting in her crate each night and we have to wrestle her in there, but once she is in it, she is fine and does great all night. After those errands we did some errands for Chad’s work and then we headed to Chick Fil A for lunch because we realized that they are one of the only places in town with a playland.

When we were ordering one of the employees handed us a Chick Fil A paper hat for Riley to wear and when we sat at the table he had fun playing with it and looked so cute:
While we ate Riley kept saying “slide?” and after we finally got him to take enough bites we let him to play on the playland. We were interested to see if he could actually get to the top of the playland to get down the slide. We are happy to report that with another little boy’s help he made it to the top and after playing around in the tubes up top, and with a little girl’s help, he finally worked up the courage to go down the slide. Of course, then he wanted to do it again, but it had taken so long the first time and it was already way past naptime, so we carried a not very happy little boy to the car to go home and take a nap.

After his nap, we dropped my parent’s dog Kori off at my parents house, as they were returning from a week of being out of town and then we dropped Chad off at work while we went to the grocery store, where I spent an insane amount of money on I am not sure what….I hate shopping trips like that, where my cart is brimming, but in the end I wonder what I really ended up taking home. That night we stayed in and had a great night watching Slumdog Millionaire, which we had not seen yet, and we really liked it.

The next morning we got up early with Riley and then started preparations for Father’s Day lunch. We had invited my parents, Grammy and my uncle Kip over for lunch. My parents came over early to play with Riley. For appetizers I made a pumpkin dip with some graham crackers and gingerbread men and my mom and Grammy LOVED IT! I sent the extra home with both of them since they liked it so much. For lunch Chad made chicken tacos and everyone raved. And then for dessert I made Paula Deen’s pineapple blueberry crumble cake. (If you want any of these recipes, just let me know! I found them all online!) Of course I didn’t think about taking pics til dessert so here is a picture of what was left of the dessert, both in the pan and on my plate:


After lunch my Dad put Riley down for a nap and Chad & I napped while my parents watched a movie at our house. I hope they weren’t too offended that we just passed out!

Now back to my mention of my impulse buy at Walmart. I went into Walmart with the sole intention of buying some face wash that I can only find there. On my way in the front door they had these little plastic golf carts & clubs hanging on the wall for $5 a piece. Riley loves to carry Chad’s gold clubs round the front yard, as well as Chad’s golf balls, but Chad’s clubs are so big and bulky to Riley so I knew when I saw the $5 plastic ones that I had to have them. As I walked out to car, Chad was shaking his head and smiling and I told him I couldn’t resist. I broke them out earlier in the day on Saturday and then again before we left for dinner on Sunday night. RILEY LOVES THEM! And he is so cute with them. Needless to say as I took pics I got mainly ones like these, of the back of his head, as he wheeled his cart around:
But I did manage to get these two of his front:



I have to say this was the best impulse buy ever!!! And I am so proud of myself!

After everyone woke up from our Sunday naps we got ready to go and meet Chad’s parents for sushi at Sushi Axiom. Riley was in an especially busy mood and he climbed all over me, Chad and his Grandmommy, as well as his booster chair and the booth. I think our days of going out to eat with Riley at nice restaurants may be numbered..... Dinner was good and I couldn’t believe how much sushi we ate. It seemed like we ordered way too much, but in the end we ate every bite!

It was nice to go back to work yesterday feeling like we had a relaxing weekend, but that we still accomplished some things as well.

Two anniversaries to mention in the past week: Happy 32nd anniversary to Chad’s parents and happy BIG 30th anniversary to MY PARENTS! We love you guys so much!



1 comment:

  1. Boston has that same set of golf clubs and he loves them! $5 was a great deal in my opinion! Riley is so cute!

    ReplyDelete