Monday, June 29, 2009

Playing Dress Up

Last week was a themed dress up week for Riley at school. Monday was Funky Sock Day and you wouldn’t believe it, but I found a pair of tie-died rainbow socks in Riley’s sock drawer that were perfect for this day! He got the socks as a baby present when he was born, but they were way too big for him then and miraculously I saved them in the drawer and he has never worn them. I must have known deep down that there was going to be a funky sock day in his future!



Tuesday was Tacky Day, but Riley’s Nana wanted to spend the day with him instead, and really, who wants to dress tacky? (Although, I did have the perfect outfit in mind…) Riley had a fun day with his Nana! She took him swimming in his baby pool in her backyard (this time in a swimsuit!) and of course she put his water/sandbox right next to the pool because you’ve got to have all the water toys out at the same time!


















She said he thought the water was cold at first, but got used to it and every time the sun started to shine on his pool he said “hot outside” and they moved the pool back into the shade!

I was thankful to my parents for helping out this week as Chad was working nights so I was doing swim lessons on my own. On Tuesday my Dad made steaks for dinner and I met them at their house and then my mom came to swim lessons to watch. Riley was not too happy again about being in the big pool and fussed a bit. We still had a sub teaching class and I don’t think Riley cares for him too much. I keep meaning to ask where the regular teacher has been….. My mom took this photo at the end of class:

I tend to lose Riley’s trust in class as soon as I dunk him under water for the first time. He was so excited about jumping in from the side, but once I dunked him he didn’t want to do it anymore.

Wednesday at daycare was Pajama Day, but that wasn’t too exciting as Riley just sleeps in cotton shirts and shorts and so I didn’t take pictures of that.

On Wednesday, Riley’s HaHa picked him up early from daycare and they went to the park to play and then to McDonald’s for dinner.





(I just realized he is wearing his pajamas in these pictures so there are pictures of Pajama Day! Thanks HaHa!)




It was weird to be at home by myself, but I filled the time by baking the Pineapple Blueberry Crunch Cake again, this time for Cake Day at my work on Thursday and I also got caught up on some DVR and watched the final episode of Pushing Daises.

Thursday was hat day and of course Riley requested to wear his Thomas the Train shirt, like he does almost every day. Unfortunately, I only have one Thomas the Train shirt and it’s only clean once a week….I should probably buy more Thomas shirts soon…..although, I am sure as soon as I do he will be so over Thomas the Train.... Well, it was clean on Thursday and so I put Riley in it and then of course the perfect hat was his conductor hat that he got at Ethan’s birthday party. At first he didn’t want to wear it, but then I told him if he wore it he would be a train conductor and he put it right on.


He also decided to be silly and pulled the hat down over his eyes and said “Where’s Riley?” which is one of his favorite games:


Then he pulls it up and says “There he is!”

On Thursday night my parents again cooked us dinner and this time both Nana and Papa came to swim class to watch. This time I waited until way late in the class to dunk Riley and it seemed to work out better. Also, there were only 3 kids including Riley in class and he seemed to enjoy that better. He does like being the center of attention!

Friday was backwards day and again not too exciting as I just put cotton shorts and a t-shirt on Riley since I thought those would be the most comfortable clothes to have backwards. His daycare is so cute with the stuff they plan for the summer and it was fun dressing Riley up all week. Last week was water week and I know they have other themed weeks all summer long.

On Friday evening, Chad picked Riley up from daycare so he could spend some time with him before he had to be back at work and I picked up dinner for us all and met Chad at the theater. We ate backstage and then Riley had fun playing on the set with Daddy and watching the kids run some numbers from the show. We left just before the house opened as we still don’t think Riley will sit still through a show. Especially, one where his Grandmommy does the curtain speech. As soon as he sees her he yells out her name and wants to be on stage with her.

On Saturday we took Riley and Chad to get their hair cut. This time we tried Chad going first so that Riley could watch. Riley was fine with that and sometimes watched intently. He was scared and started to cry when Chad got his hair washed, but once we told him to look at the bubbles he perked back up. I even tried playing with Riley’s hair a lot and acting like my fingers were scissors. But the second that it was Riley’s turn he started freaking out. Chad started out holding him in his lap and then we switched. We tried giving him candy (one of his favorite treats) but that didn't work either. I basically held Riley’s arms down while I sat him in my lap and Chad tried to hold his head still. It was torture!! He cried and screamed and turned all red and Kayla did the best she could to cut his hair. It turned out okay, but I am really ready for the day that he does not find haircuts to be frightening.

After the traumatic haircut we went to the mall to buy some jeans for Chad because Gap was having an amazing in-store only sale on jeans. My parents met us there because Chad had to leave for work and Riley and I were going to ride with them to my cousin’s son’s birthday party. After the jeans were bought, my parents took Riley down to ride the coin-operated rides that the mall had. He really liked the school bus:




But for some reason the ice cream truck was his favorite, which I found extremely ironic because he doesn’t even like ice cream!





(I live and breathe for this smile and this laugh!)

(This one is my favorite! He looks so happy!)

After the rides, Riley & I ate a quick lunch at the mall with Nana and Papa and then headed to Little Gym for Riley Scott’s birthday party. We had never been to Little Gym, but Riley had a fabulous time at the party. He ran all over and basically wore me out (a parent has to be in the gym at all times with all kids under the age of 3)

(His hair is making me laugh here because it still looks wet from all the hair gel Kayla put in it!)


The kids played for an hour and Riley had a blast. His favorite part was probably when they brought the parachute out to play with. I wonder if he’s played with one before at daycare as he seemed to know just what to do:

(Rile is the blur in the middle of this picture! Speedy Gonzales!)


(Awesome! He again looks so happy! Saturday was a great day!)


After playing the kids were all taken into the party room where they had juice and pizza and Elmo cupcakes. Even though we had eaten before the party, I guess all the playing made Riley hungry and he ate some pizza and LOVED the Elmo cupcake. (even though I was trying my hardest to keep him from getting red and black icing all over him.) But what he REALLY loved were the juice barrels (see pictures below). What are those things and where do you get them because Riley thought they were great!




(Riley hates having dirty hands and the above pic is him requesting that I clean off his greasy pizza hands!)

On Saturday night my parents picked me & Riley up to go out to dinner since Chad was working and afterwards they came over to play with Riley a bit. While in the backyard playing with Papa, Riley faceplanted in the dirt and had dirt all over his face. He didn’t cry or anything and it was so funny!



(Yucky! Dirt in the mouth!)
On Sunday, we had a lazy morning at the house with Chad and then we met up with Grammy for lunch at Lucile’s. After lunch Riley took a nap and then once he woke up I took him to Nana & Papa’s to play so I could go grocery shopping on my own for once. After shopping my parents picked me up and we all went to dinner at Texas Roadhouse with one of my dad’s best friend’s families. It was good to see them and Riley actually behaved pretty well at dinner and ate a lot. (Although mostly it was dinner rolls he ate…..reminds me of Jake) I have discovered that Riley is not a big fan of booster seats and prefers to sit in the chair like a big boy, so we did that as much as possible this week and he behaved a little better.

Next week we will be on vacation. I will try to at least get something up on this blog by my usual day, but please understand if we are having too much fun and I don’t get around to it!

Happy Independence Day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment