Monday, August 31, 2009

Peppermints & Milk

Last week Riley had his 2 year old doctor check up. Everything went well from what Chad told me since I wasn’t there. He wasn’t sure what Riley weighed because he said Riley managed to turn the scale off right after they got the measurement. He did say that Riley was in the 50-75% on his weight, height and head and so I am happy because he is usually right at 50% and now he’s inching up at being a bit above average. I am still holding out hope that he ends up with his Daddy’s height! Chad also said that Riley started crying as soon as they took his clothes off and then cried when he got his two shots and then cried again when they had to prick his finger. I think we are in for the bit of time when Riley does not like going to the doctor. At least his next well check-up isn’t until he turns 3!

I had a dentist appointment last Thursday and I was nervous because last time I went I got a long lecture from my dentist about flossing and gum disease and that even though I wasn’t prone to cavities that I needed to be flossing at least every other day. Well, I did them one better and have been flossing EVERY day for the last 6 months! I couldn’t wait to see what they said! The hygienist was way more concerned about whether my gums had been bleeding because I was pregnant and I told her no they had not been bleeding. She finally finished cleaning and admitted that where I had hard plaque on all my teeth last time, this time I only had it on one tooth! Success! She wanted me to upgrade from dental floss to dental tape, but that stuff is HUGE and it really hurt my mouth the last time she used it so I think I am going to stick with the floss for a while longer and see where we get that.

Thursday was also my one and only sister-in-law Rebecca’s birthday! I haven’t gotten to see her in person yet to celebrate, but hopefully the family will be getting together soon! Happy Birthday Rebecca!

On Saturday morning Chad & I woke up and got ready to take Riley and Chad for haircuts. It had been a while since we had been there, but as soon as we drove in the parking lot, Riley started saying “no haircut, no haircut, no haircut.” We were shocked he remembered the building! We got inside and assumed the positions. Riley in Chad’s lap holding his body still and me maneuvering Riley’s head so Kayla could cut. I told Kayla that I was most concerned with getting the hair off of Riley’s ears and neck and after that we could see where we were. She did that and then asked if I wanted some off the front. I said sure and then she did something she had never done before. She just lined her scissors up and snipped off the front, which made Riley look like he had a bowl cut and it looked awful! She must have known it looked bad because she suggested that we start taking Riley to another girl in her salon that used to work at a kids salon and see if she could do a better job. I must say that when we left, I was devastated. Riley’s hair had never looked so bad and I had no idea where to take him to fix it. I asked around on Facebook today and 9 out of 10 moms suggested Cool Cuts 4 Kids. I made an appointment for tonight so we will see if they can fix the damage.

After haircuts we ran to get Princess her meds. She now weighs 22 lbs and I have to say she is not gaining weight in the way I expected. She may stay a tiny girl, which is fine by me! Riley fell asleep in the car while we did this, but then woke up as soon as we got home and would not go back to sleep for a nap. The good news is we were taking him to his Grandmommy & Haha’s to spend the night so they got to deal with it! We had gotten a call on Friday night from our friends, Mike & Christina, inviting us to go to the Dallas Cowboys Game on Saturday night with them for FREE! Chad was so excited! So after we dropped Riley off with his Haha, we headed to pick up Mike & Christina and then we were off to the game. This time upon walking in, we noticed a fruit stand and we all bought some fruit! I was really excited about the healthier option and also because I didn’t really see anything good for dessert at the stadium the week before. We found our seats, which were in the section above where we were last week, but turns out we sat in the wrong seats for the first half an hour or so. Our seats were actually on the 45 yard line and even though we were high up, they were great seats! We also got a surprise that our friends Kate & Jason were also at the game that night so we had some fun looking for them and we actually ended up being able to see them from our seats, even though they were in the section below ours! We had a great time at the game, even though the Cowboys lost and it seemed like the stadium had improved upon things from the week before. The sound was much better and we could hear every call that the officials made.

I was so excited to sleep in yesterday morning, and boy did I! I slept until 10am, and I cannot think of the last time that I did that! I did go to bed about 2.5 hours later than usual so that probably helped! Chad & I got up and went to pick up Riley. He had such a good time with his Grandmommy & Haha that he cried when we put him in the car! We drove to La Madeleine where we met Nana, Papa & Grammy for lunch and after that we headed home for Riley to take a nap and for Chad to head to Dallas for work. Riley must have been tired from not napping the day before because he slept for 3 hours and 15 minutes! I was reading a book and it was so nice to just have a quiet house and forget about housework and just enjoy a book! I actually finished the book last night, so it only took me a weekend to read it!

Once Riley woke up we got in the car and headed to Nana & Papa’s. My mom had been missing Riley and so I told her we would come over for dinner and to play. When we got there Riley wanted to go outside and I am not sure how, but either he or my mom decided he needed to swim in his kiddie pools, so they got those down and filled them with water while my Dad grilled some chicken for dinner. We couldn’t even get Riley out of the pool to eat so in between slides down the slide we got him to eat bites of chicken. The food was so good and the temperature outside was really nice. It was nice to see my parents also. I had missed them too. My mom became obsessed with getting a picture of Riley going down the pool slide. It got to be pretty funny trying to tell her when to shoot and here are some of her efforts! Riley didn’t care because it just meant he got to slide a lot!
(Try #1. You can sort of see his bad haircut here, but this pic does not do it justice.)






After he swam and ate in the pool, I decided it would be silly to make him get out of the pool just to get in the bathtub, so I brought his soap outside and we washed him in the pool. He didn’t like the water on his head as usual, and I’m not really sure if he realized what a cool mom I was being by letting him bathe in the pool, but oh well! After his “bath” we got him out of the pool and came inside to get him dressed. It was so cold inside and he was just shivering so once I got him dressed we sat on the couch and had some cookies & milk with Papa before we headed home. Well, actually, Papa & I had cookies & milk. Riley wanted peppermints & milk. Strange boy!

(Yum, milk!)




No comments:

Post a Comment