Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Carter Jake Jung

I was very anxious at the beginning of last week for my doctor’s appointment to arrive. I was counting the days/hours/minutes until Wednesday arrived and Monday and Tuesday felt like they took forever! Thankfully, on Tuesday night Chad had an opening event at the Dallas Museum of Art for an installation that did the lighting for. He has been going to Dallas for a few months now and working with the two artists on the project and I was very excited to see the finished product. The event was very fancy, even the Dallas mayor was there. As soon as Chad & I walked in the door, we ran into some of my old co-workers from the Dallas Theater Center and it was nice to catch up with them for a bit. We finally were able to make our way up to the installation and it was so cool. What made it even more amazing was to have Chad be able to tell me the process behind the design. I don’t think I would have even noticed half of the things he pointed out to me. It makes me realize how cursory a glance I take at art in a usual setting and how maybe if I spent more time looking at a piece I might notice deeper meaning in the art. Unfortunately the food at the event was not very filling and so we headed out a little early to grab dinner on the way home and relieve my Dad, who was watching Riley, since it was a weeknight. If you have time to check out the art, the piece Chad helped with will be on display for the next five months!

The doctor’s appointment was the next day, which I posted about in the previous post, but what I haven’t posted yet is the name we have decided on for the baby. His name will be Carter Jake Jung. The name Carter is our way of honoring my maiden name, Cartwright. Jake is my brother’s middle name, but it was the name he went by. I am very excited that we have the name picked and I can’t wait to see little Carter’s face in February. I love that his name has significance to my side of the family as Riley’s name has significance to Chad’s side of the family.

On Thursday Chad began work on the grand opening gala events at the new AT&T Performing Arts Center in Dallas. This is a very cool gig for him to be working on because he gets to work with a huge designer, Ken Billington, who he has really admired for a long time. (One of Chad's favorite designs of Ken's is his design of the Fantasmic show at Disneyland.) Unfortunately the hours are long, but it is only a week of crazy work and then things will be back to normal for a bit. I know Riley misses Chad, as every night on our way home he says “Daddy inside” until we pull into the garage and he realizes that Daddy is not there and then he says “Daddy working.” This morning he also cried as Chad left saying “Daddy no work.” I know that is hard for Chad and I hope the week passes quickly for us all.

Chad was able to get some time off on Saturday to go to the wedding of one of his childhood friends, Katie. The wedding was so interesting as Katie was raised Catholic and her now-husband, Daniel was raised Jewish. They had the ceremony at the Japanese Gardens in the Fort Worth Botanic Gardens and it was very cool how they had both a priest and a rabbi and really melded both of their spiritual views together in their wedding. We were also very impressed as they had memorized their vows and other parts of the ceremony. There is no way I could have done that for my wedding, there was too much adrenaline for me to remember all of that! The area where they got married was decorated beautifully. It was a bit cold, and we were outside, so I was thankful I thought to wear my heavy coat. After the ceremony, there was a brief cocktail reception and then we headed to pick Riley up for the real reception. We knew he couldn’t have lasted through the ceremony so we chose to bring him to the reception only. The reception was at Joe T’s and again outside. Riley did great and we had a good time visiting with the people at our table. The way they did the seating cards was very cool as they had a table of pictures and you had to find your picture and on the back it told you where you were sitting. Our picture was of Chad & Katie in high school and it was funny cause Katie & I have similar hair color and Riley kept looking at the picture and saying “Mama & Daddy.” It gave our table quite a laugh! Riley did want to run around a lot and was being quite a Daddy’s boy that night so I know Chad was exhausted from chasing him around. At one point they were looking in one of the Joe T’s fountains and Riley stuck both his arms in up to the elbows, getting his sweater arms soaked. Thankfully, he had a t-shirt on under the sweater and wasn’t wearing his hooded sweatshirt jacket, so we took off the sweater and made him put on his jacket.

While Chad & I were at the wedding on Saturday, my parents watched Riley and took him to a train event at LMRA. He got to look at large displays of model trains and there was also a children’s section where he got to play with trains. Needless to say, he had a blast and the second he got home he wanted to watch Thomas the Train.







(Still working on sharing. Nana said this photo was snapped as he said "mine!")






(He had to sit on Papa's shoulders in order to see the large displays)






(Went to McDonalds for some more fun after the trains)





My parents also bought him some more trains and extra track for his train set at their house so he also wanted to spend a lot of time this weekend at Nana & Papa’s. On Sunday we spent the morning at our house and then met up with Grammy, Nana & Papa at Olive Garden for lunch. Riley was so funny at lunch because I have started giving him two options to choose from off the kids menu when we go out to eat so he has some control over what he is eating. This time the choices were chicken tenders or cheese pizza. Riley was bouncing up and down about the pizza and when they brought our drinks he was already wondering where his pizza was, going “Pizza? Pizza?” Finally the pizza came and he ate a few bites. After lunch he wanted to go to Nana & Papa’s, but I told him he needed to take a nap first. He took a really long nap and then when he woke up I asked him what he wanted to do and of course he wanted to go to Papa’s house. I told him he had to call Papa and ask if he could come over and he wasn’t too happy about that, but did it. We then went over and he played with his trains and we ate dinner and he bathed over there before we headed home. Chad made it home just in time to tuck Riley in bed.

Yesterday my mom was off of work and so Riley went to her house and he got to play with his new trains as much as he wanted all day. I went over after work to pick him up and we stayed for dinner. After dinner we played a bit longer and then headed home for bathtime and bedtime.

This week is going to be a tough one for me, not having Chad around. I am already missing him, even though I hope the days will pass quickly. I have been having some growing pains with Carter that I didn’t have with Riley so I am hoping those ease up some as I have been limping around a bit since yesterday. I am worried that I am getting them from picking Riley up, but it is so hard not to, especially when Chad is not around. I just hope they are temporary and will go away soon. Hopefully my body is not stretching out extra this time to accommodate a larger baby. Riley was very average in size, but I am worried Carter might be bigger!

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, so happy for you and I love the name! So special to incorporate Jake's name :) Can't wait to meet our new additions!!

    ReplyDelete