Monday, October 5, 2009

Climbing Out Of Bed

After the stitches incident last week things mainly got back to normal. The work week was a long one after having gone in to the office on both Saturday and Sunday. I was never more happy to see the weekend arrive, however it felt weird on Saturday to not go into the office. Thankfully, that feeling passed quickly.

Chad had a Kids Who Care show that was opening on Friday so he worked a couple of nights last week in tech and on the show. On Friday he had the afternoon free and decided that since it was so beautiful out he would pick Riley up from school early and take him to the park. They went by the ATM first to get “money for the choo-choo” as Chad told Riley and when we stopped at the same bank the next day Riley remembered and asked if we were getting choo-choo money again! Anyway, on Friday Chad took him to the park and they played and rode the Forest Park mini train. I met up with them after work to take Riley home so Chad could go back to work. My mom came over on Friday night and we took Riley to dinner at Mexican Inn by my house. He was very feisty at dinner, but Nana missed him a lot so I don’t think she cared much! After dinner she came back to the house with us and helped Riley take his bath.

On Saturday morning mine & Chad’s lives changed forever. I heard Riley calling my name from his bed and I tried to ignore him for about 15 minutes, all the while wishing he would go back to sleep. I finally decided to get up and get him, but I stopped at the bathroom first and while I was in there I heard the patter of little feet heading in to my bedroom. Chad had slept on the couch that morning because his snoring was waking me up, so I thought he had gone in and gotten Riley out of bed. He hadn’t! Riley had gotten out of his bed all by himself! We were shocked. Chad expected him to do that when we first moved him to a big bed last March, but he never did get out of it. He just called for us when he needed us. Not anymore!! After his nap that day we heard a thunk, but then no crying and when Chad opened his door to check on him, Riley was out of bed playing with his toys. Yesterday morning at around 6:30am, I woke up to hearing Riley’s feet quietly moving along the floors of the house. He wasn’t calling out and he wasn’t running, so I just laid in bed and listened. He made it into our room and walked around the foot of the bed, where he saw Princess’ crate and he started talking to her, telling her to open the door. Chad woke up then and we got Riley to lie in our bed for a few minutes before we all ended up getting up too early for a weekend morning. Last night, about 10 minutes after we put Riley down, Chad & I were sitting in the living room and I saw Riley head out of his room, towards our room, before he realized we were in the living room, turned and saw me and smiled a huge smile at me. The smile soon turned to tears as Chad went and picked him up and told him he had to go back to bed. As Chad says, “this is going to be a whole new project!” and he is totally right! We were really spoiled that it took Riley this long to climb out of his own bed. I guess he had to grow up sometime!

Speaking of sleeping though, why is it that on the weekdays it is all we can do to get Riley to wake up at the time we need him to, but on the weekends he rarely ever sleeps in, even if he goes to bed later than on a weeknight??? It is so frustrating! It’s like he knows the weekends are spent with us and he wants to get started as soon as possible!

On Saturday Chad & I went to get our flu shots from our doctor’s office that was holding a flu clinic. There was hardly a wait and we were on our way in no time. Riley went into the shot room with Chad and he was very confused and thought at first that he was going to get a shot and kept saying to Chad “Daddy, no hurts”. Chad explained that Daddy was getting the shot and that Riley was not. Riley finally got it and then was fascinated all day asking to see Daddy’s owie and making Chad show him the Band-Aid on his arm. Too bad Riley is going to get his 2nd flu shot tomorrow and will probably not be too excited about the fact that he will be getting the “owie” this time around. I will be glad to have all our regular flu shots taken care of and just figure out all the swine flu shot stuff when it becomes available. I’m not normally such a stickler for the flu shot, but this season, being pregnant, I would rather not take any chances.

Speaking of the pregnancy, I have a doctor’s appointment on Wednesday and will post again then. We are having another sonogram and hopefully, if the baby cooperates we will be able to find out if we are having a boy or a girl! I am really anxious to find out and cannot wait until Wednesday. I keep dreaming it is a girl, but again, I have no idea, so we will have to wait and see. My mom & I asked Riley on Friday if Mommy was having a boy or a girl and he said “girl”…..pray that they can tell on Wednesday. I really want to know and will be so happy no matter if it is a boy or girl!

After our flu shot excursion on Saturday Chad & I took Riley to lunch at Jason’s Deli and then we went home so he could take a nap. After his nap we went to the grocery store, where Riley refused to sit in a cart and tried his best to be a pain. I have no idea why he was so easy at the store with me a couple of weeks ago, but then a pest for Chad last week and a little bit of a pain this week also. I guess he is not a fan of shopping. Chad made chicken & rice for dinner that night and we had a really nice evening of catching up on TV shows. On Sunday we joined Grammy, Nana & Papa at Lucile’s for lunch, where Riley insisted on having two sippy cups, one of orange juice and one of milk and he alternated drinking out of both of them. Thankfully, Nana & Papa had an extra sippy cup in their car so he was able to have two. After lunch Riley & I dropped Chad off at home so he could make a work call and then we headed to Nana & Papa’s, where Riley took a nap and I attended a Jake Remembered Board Meeting. Don’t forget to register for the softball tournament! http://www.jakeremembered.org/Softball.html

It was overall a nice weekend of catching up on things and trying to relax! Here’s a picture of Chad & Riley playing Lara Croft last night on the Wii. In the second picture you will see Riley’s “cheese” face. Cute huh? I especially like the hand under his chin!


I’ll do my best to start taking more pictures soon. We have a lot of fun activities planned in October, so I am sure that won’t be a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment