Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Happy Birthday Grandmommy!

Sorry this week’s post is a little later than usual, but we’ve been busy and I was waiting to get all of the photos from this past weekend together. To start off, we got some photos from Grandmommy that she took at last week’s Touch A Truck event that I wanted to share with everyone!

(Yum! Ice Cream!)

(He was not too sure about the loud air horns here.)


(Again he was upset by the loud air horns.)

This past week was a good one! On Wednesday Chad helped cater to my recent nesting habit by picking out Carter’s crib with me. When Riley was about 18 months old and just after we had moved him to his big boy bed, we got a notice that his crib had been recalled. They make you send in all the bolts via FedEx and then they sent us a voucher for a new crib, up to a certain dollar amount. This actually worked out really well for me because I went with honey colored wood for Riley’s room and I was dreaming of wood with a more espresso finish for Carter’s room. We went in to Babies R Us and I had a print out of the crib that I thought I wanted and then I couldn’t find it on the floor. I did however find another one that I really liked. The feature that I really liked about it was that the rails seemed lower than they were on Riley’s crib. Since I am only 5’2” the lower the rails, the easier it will be for me to put Carter in and get him out. Here is a web picture of the crib.
I’ll take a picture of the crib once we get it put up so you can see it in the nursery!

I also bought some mini blinds for the windows up in Carter’s room. I have been going back and forth between having my Memaw make curtains or us putting up blinds. Money (or lack thereof) helped to make my decision as I found some vinyl wood-look blinds at Target for a third of the cost that it would have been to have curtains made. Cross your fingers that they look good once installed or I will be returning them and be back to square one. Carter’s room is currently our office/guest room and it is a loft room in our house. I took the curtains down that came with the house when we bought it as they don’t match our style or the look of the room since I textured and re-painted it last Spring. While we love the abundance of natural light, the room does not get very dark and we want it to be a peaceful place to sleep for Carter. The only way in and out of the room is a wooden spiral staircase, which I am sure will be a pain at some point in the future, but is also one of the features that really sold us on the house. We hope to switch Riley and Carter’s rooms as soon as Riley is big enough to maneuver the stairs on his own. For now, he is not ready, and part of me hopes that we get him potty-trained before the room switch happens as I fear a little boy who is potty-training trying to make it down a spiral staircase in the middle of the night to go potty.

On Friday night I had invited three of Riley’s friends and their parents to go to Boo at the Zoo with us. Due to schedule conflicts for some and illness for others, everyone ended up backing out. We had already bought tickets for some of them and so we invited my parents to join us. It was a blast (even though it was cold out) and I think Riley had fun. It was neat to be at the zoo after dark because at twilight so many of the animals were out and really moving around!

(At the start of Boo At The Zoo!)


(Riley - The Good Knight!)


(Watching the elephant keeper chat - so cool!)


(in front of the lions)


(Sorry, this got out of order. This elephant painted a picture and even did tricks!)


(Riding the carousel with Mommy! - video at end of the blog post)




(Yum - Dippin Dots!)


(With Nana - eating our Dippin Dots. Nana was holding out for a caramel apple!)


(With Papa - By the end of the night Riley was so tired that he couldn't even put his arms in his coat. So we buttoned the coat around his shoulders. This picture doesn't do justice to his "tired" face.)

After Boo at the Zoo, my parents took Riley to their house to spend the night so that Chad & I could get up the next morning and clean the house without any distractions. Chad was a champion cleaner this time around and he actually finished his tasks and then came back around to help me with mine. I was surprised at how much slower I was moving this time around. After we cleaned, we showered up and went to lunch where I requested hot wings for the second time in 4 days. I have been laughing that Carter must be a real man’s man as he is making me crave hot wings, whereas with Riley I craved sweeter things like pancakes and Kix cereal.

After lunch we went and picked Riley up from my parents’ house and drove out to Dallas to the Arboretum where we met up with our dear friends Hillary, Jarrett & Aidan. I had never been to the Arboretum and while the admission price was a bit steep it really was a great place to play. Riley had so much fun playing in the little houses, a covered wagon, a tee-pee and all the storybook houses. He would have so much fun at each one that he didn’t want to move on and see what other fun things awaited us! Aidan and Riley also had fun playing in the koi pond. Aidan kept his hands really still and the fish came up and nibbled his fingers! Riley was a bit more rambunctious and tried to catch the fish in his hands. Of course, right as we got to the koi pond, a little girl fell in it, so I spent the rest of the time worrying that Riley would fall in. Here are pics from our adventure at the Arboretum:


(Riley loved the little wooden cabins!)


(This one - the church, was his favorite because it had a door he could open and close!)


(Hanging out in the church with Aidan & Jarrett - Does he look excited, or what?)


(Climbing into another cabin)


(Daddy & Riley - hand in hand and headed to the covered wagon)


(Riley thought the covered wagon was a choo-choo train!)


(He went in the front of the tee-pee just fine, but decided this was the best way to make his exit!)


(Little boys must always play in water....even when Mommy says "no")


(Riley being a stinker!)


(The boys playing in the koi pond)


(Riley and Daddy taking one last look into the koi pond)


(Walking the ledge of the fountain)


(Riley insisted upon closing this gate before he would go any further)


(Cool! A pirate ship! Riley wasn't too excited about sharing it with anyone else. He wanted to go in alone.)


(Riley playing on the Treasure Island boat. Unfortunately, security came by next and told us the Arboretum was closing.)


(This was Riley's face when we told him we had to go.)


(Family portrait at the Arboretum! - thanks Hillary!)

We stayed at the Arboretum until it closed and then we all headed to dinner at Primo’s in the West Village. It was good and I don’t think I have eaten there since I worked in Dallas over 3.5 years ago! It was so good to see our friends and spend time with them also!

On Sunday Chad & I managed to sleep in until 9:15am. I first heard Riley at 6:50am, but he didn’t call my name. I just heard him turn on the music boxes that are attached to his bed. He must have fallen back asleep then because it got quiet again and it wasn’t until 9am or so that I heard him again, this time calling for us. We spent the morning at home. Chad made some yummy banana pancakes from scratch and then we paid bills (which was depressing!) and then after Riley took a nap we went to the grocery store. We went across town so I could return something to The Container Store so we decided to grocery shop at the Albertson’s nearby. They had a kid’s cart that looked like a race car attached to a grocery cart and it had little steering wheels attached inside and Riley had a blast riding in it and turning the little steering wheel. I think all stores need to invest in child’s carts like these!

After we unloaded our groceries at home Nana & Papa picked us up and we all met Grammy & Uncle Kip at Saltgrass for dinner. Riley was very well-behaved at dinner and Grammy kept saying how precious he is! But also that she was sad that he was too big now for her to pick up. I reminded her that Carter would be here in no time and she would have a baby she could hold before she knew it!

Yesterday was Grandmommy’s birthday and we had a lovely family dinner at Joe T Garcia’s. Riley was not on his best behavior, but I think he was just tired. We had a great time visiting with everyone and Riley even helped Grandmommy open her presents!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRANDMOMMY!

(Grandmommy & Riley at Joe T Garcia's)

And here is a video of Riley riding the carousel at Boo at the Zoo. Notice at the end the package of Smarties in his left hand? He would not let them go the entire time we were at Boo at the Zoo. I tried to hold them for him, but he insisted upon holding them and did not want to open them.


No comments:

Post a Comment