Sunday, June 6, 2010

Grateful for My Memaw

Riley’s latest news on the potty training front is how he is showing us his Herculean efforts at holding it in. On Monday morning he woke up again with a dry diaper, but refused to go potty. Chad did not have to rush off to work so he stayed at home with him for an extra hour trying to talk him into going. He just would not go, and of course, on the way to school, he relaxed and finally went, but by then he had been holding it for so long his Pull Up wouldn’t hold it all and he had to be changed upon arriving at school. We are not sure what the issue is. Supposedly, he told Ms Carmen at school that he doesn’t like the bathroom at home. I personally, think it has part to do with him liking to have control over something and secondly, he wants to still be a baby in some ways. He has been really clingy with me this past week, wanting to be rocked and cuddled, which is not his normal way. I have just been snuggling him as much as he wants as I hope if he knows we are not trying to pressure him, but love him, that he will eventually feel okay about going at home.

On Wednesday, Haha picked Riley up from school and they tried to ride the train, but it was closed due to a band of thunderstorms that was rolling in. They went to the duck pond instead and made it home just after the rain started pouring.











On Friday I started a new program at the YMCA, called FitStart. They offer it for new members, and even though I have been a member for awhile, I have never done it. It is free and you get 4 sessions with a personal trainer over a 1 week period. They teach you how to use all the machines, which is why I was interested in doing it. I have just been taking classes there for years, but now that the downtown location has remodeled, they have really nice equipment and I wanted to know how to use it. Tracy decided to do the program with me and we met with Anthony, our trainer on Friday. We laughed at how little arm muscles we both have (although Tracy was way stronger than me) and I must admit I have been a bit sore over the weekend. We told Anthony that we are going to work out 5 days a week and what is great about the program is that if you don’t show up for a couple of days, the trainer will contact you, so it keeps you accountable.

On Friday night we had Kate, Elizabeth & Zachary over for dinner. The kids had a blast playing and then we bathed them together and let them play in Riley’s bed before they headed home for bed. Zach is getting so big and his hair is starting to lighten up a bit. Liz was very happy to play with Riley as she has been asking for him all week. I felt like I hadn’t seen Kate in forever and it was nice to visit with her also.

Yesterday morning we got up for swim lessons. We had a substitute teacher in Riley’s class and we actually liked her better than his normal teacher. She did a lot more with all of the kids and at the end of class even had each kid jump in twice and go under! It was great! After class we stayed and swam with Tracy & Kennis and Riley even swam for a bit with just a pool noodle under his arms! I feel like he is really picking up the skills so fast this year. I am not sure if it is just his age or if it is the fact that we only go once a week for 8 weeks so he has a chance to digest what happened before we go again. The past two years we did classes that were twice a week for a month so it went much faster.

Yesterday afternoon Riley requested that we go to the grocery store so he could get a train. I have started a monstrous thing by buying him a train the last two weeks. Thankfully, Chad was able to go with us and we held off buying Riley a train. We did get him a pool noodle and some cheap bath toys, so I guess he still thinks grocery shopping means he gets a toy…

Last night my parents came over to watch the boys so Chad & I could go to dinner at Del Frisco’s with his parents and his brother and sister in law. We had a great time at dinner and got to visit with Chad’s mom about her recent trip out of town where she tore the muscles that surround her Achilles tendon and she was on crutches and had her foot wrapped up in a splint! We are waiting to find out what her recovery plan is going to be, but hope it goes quickly for her. Back to our dinner though: It was so unbelievably good! That restaurant is such a special treat and his parents spared nothing to make sure we had a really great time. It is a night we will not forget for a long time!

After dinner we went to Tracy’s husband Mark’s birthday party. We had a good time visiting with everyone, but had to leave in order to get home at a decent hour and let Nana & Papa off of babysitting duty.

This morning we were a little hungover and sleepy so Riley came to our bed at 7am and played while we went in and out of sleep, before finally getting up around 9am. We met Grammy, Nana & Papa at Lucile’s for lunch & Riley was in a cranky mood. I think he was tired, but he was being really clingy to me on the way in and then told us he didn’t want to eat so we didn’t order him anything. Turns out he did want a waffle and thankfully Grammy shared hers with him. On the way home I was sure he was going to fall asleep, but he didn’t. I put him down for a nap, but he just sat in his bed singing and never slept. Carter, on the other hand slept like a champ and slept for over 3 hours. Maybe he is growing? He slept so long that I forgot his feeding time had come and gone because I was playing with Riley and when I did remember he had already gone an hour past meal time. While he slept, Riley played trains on my bed and also played cowboy while watching TV.





I guess he got pretty sleepy not napping. I had already decided to get him in the bath early and I am glad I did because he fell asleep in my arms while I was rocking him in less than 5 minutes!

Tomorrow starts my mom’s first day of watching Carter and I am really excited for her to really get to bond with him. Memaw’s last day was Friday and I must admit that my emotions got the best of me and I cried when the time came to say bye. My parents drove her home that night and so I got to thank her as best could that evening when I picked up Carter. As I told her, words cannot express how thankful we are to her for watching Carter for us. He really bonded with her and I loved seeing them together. We will miss her so much and it makes it harder, having had this time with her, to have her go back home and know that we will not see her as often. We love you Memaw!



No comments:

Post a Comment