Sunday, August 15, 2010

Durango and More

On Monday morning bright and early we caught our flight to Durango, CO. Well, two flights actually. We connected in Denver. We had to wake the boys up at 4am to go to the airport and they both did surprisingly well! Both napped on at least one of the flights. Carter cried on the descent of our first flight, but other than that both boys were really well behaved!

When we arrived in Durango, Grandmommy & Haha were there to pick us up and we headed into Durango to grab some lunch and stretch our legs. We ate at a taco place called Nini's and it was good! Riley only ate chips. Before we ate we went into some stores and went down to the train station to try and see the train, but it wasn't there. After lunch we walked over to a candy store and all got some dessert. Riley got marshmellows on a stick that were covered with small m&ms.




We then drove to Durango Mountain Resort at Purgatory where we were staying. That afternoon we took Riley swimming. I did not get in at first because the water was cold! But then we went to another pool on the complex that was warmer and I did get in for a bit. Riley did really well swimming around. We bought him a lifevest/floatie thing that he wears in the pool and makes it to where he doesn't even need to swim with a pool noodle, even though he still does!


We ate dinner in the condo and the guys made steaks. Riley made a "house" in the livingroom behind the TV and a chair, looking out the window, where he ate his PB&J sandwich.


That night we discovered that both bathrooms only had showers, so Riley had the idea that he should bathe in the sink with Carter!


After the boys were in bed Grandmommy & I got to work on making a "snake" cake for Riley's birthday, since that is what he asked for. This was all Grandmommy's creation and it turned out really great!


Tuesday was Riley's 3rd birthday! When he woke up all his presents were waiting on the dining room table so we immediately opened them! He got a Buzz Lightyear phone, The Very Hungry Caterpillar Game, Cars movie, a Thomas the Train boat, a Patrick cement mixer Thomas toy, some water guns, and some t-shirts.


Riley then insisted that he watch Cars with Daddy.


Grandmommy, Haha & I started making pancakes and Riley decided to help!


When we got him dressed I asked him if he wanted to wear a new shirt and he chose his train shirt that Nana & Papa got him.


But before we knew it he was asking to go swimming and we were at his beck and call since it was his birthday. We went down to the pool by our condo, but Chad & I didn't get it cause it was so cold. So we finally convinced Riley to go to the other warmer pool. Right when we got there we saw a storm blowing in and the wind got really cold. It was actually warmer to be in the water, but any part of you that was out of the water was cold! We actually weren't the only people at the pool either! There was another family there. When it started to rain harder we convinced Riley to get in the hot tub and then it was actually quite pleasant to be out in the rain! I got hot and headed back once the hardest rain let up and Riley & Daddy stayed at the hot tub. Right after I got back to the condo the sun came out. Carter woke up and we headed to the patio for a bit to get some sun.


For lunch Riley wanted a hot dog from the hot dog cart at the resort so that he what he & I had. After his nap we decided to take him up the chair lift up the mountain and ride the alpine slide down. It was really fun and Chad got it on video, but I don't have a copy yet! Riley rode up the chairlift with Chad, but down the slide with me. I took our toboggan down the slide slowly because I didn't want to tip and have Riley be scared of the slide, but Chad made fun of me that I was going too slow!

Then we got some bread and went in hunt of chipmunks to feed. We found two and threw them potato bread for a bit.


When we got back we unveiled Riley's snake cake to him!



I think he really liked it!


Then we had dinner, put the candle in and sang 'Happy Birthday' to our sweet birthday boy! I can't believe he is already three! He is growing up so fast!



On Wednesday morning we got up and drove down the road to Haviland Lake to take Riley fishing for the first time.


It was gorgeous and I think this picture will soon become my desktop image!


Haha did a great job teaching Riley how to fish and to keep his fishing pole pointed up.




BUT, we didn't catch any fish, and a storm seemed to be blowing in over the mountains so we drove in to town, grabbed a quick lunch and took Riley to the fish hatchery so he could actually see some fish, and feed them!






It was really sunny and hot and we ended up putting Haha's hat on Carter's head!


After the fish hatchery we headed to the park. Carter & I laid on a blanket while Chad & Riley played. Carter was laughing a lot while I tickled him!



But the boys didn't get very good naps that day and we vowed to do better the next day! When we woke up on Thursday we drove in to town to go to the La Plata County Fair! The midway did not open until noon, so we stalled at first and walked around looking at animals. We then ate carnival food for lunch and then went and rode the midway rides before heading home for naps.














I didn't get any pictures of Riley's face on the pony ride because right after I took this picture rain water came off the top of the tent and drenched me and Carter!

On Thursday night Chad & I left the boys at the condo with Gramdmommy & Haha and we went into town to see Inception, which we both LOVED! And then we shopped and picked up sushi to bring home for dinner.

I'd just like to take a moment to once again thank Grandmommy & Haha for taking us to Durango! We had a great vacation and are so happy to start this tradition with the Jungs!

On Friday we woke up and spent the morning packing before heading into town to have lunch on the way to the airport. We ate at Olde Timers Cafe before hitting up two candy stores. One poop accident later and we were in the car on the way to the airport. Riley was really tired and cranky through security and once we got on the plane, but I sat next to him and he was pretty well-behaved. When we arrived in Denver we found out our connecting flight was delayed 3 hours so we ate at McDonald's and spent the time camped out by our gate watching movies and playing. The boys did great all things considered and we finally arrived home at 11pm. We were excited to see Nana & Papa at the airport. Upon getting home Riley was complaining that his boy parts were hurting and we ended up calling the night nurse at his pediatrician for advice. Tylenol, Benedryl, a lukewarm baking soda bath, a movie, and 3am came and he was still awake. chad put him to bed, but yesterday we woke up and he was still in pain. We made an appointment at his doctor and were there at 10am. Turns out Riley had phimosis. If you're curious, google it.

After the doctor visit we headed to Aiden's 3rd Birthday Pool Party. Riley was still in a lot of pain, but he still managed to swim for a bit and played like he wasn't in pain! There were lots of birthdays this week, so in addition to Happy Birthday Riley, we would also like to wish a very Happy Birthday to Aiden, Grammy & Muzzie!









Today we met up with Grammy, Nana & Papa at Red Lobster for lunch and then we went to Babies R Us to pick up some thing for Carter since he starts at TLCC tomorrow! The boys are napping now and then Kate, Elizabeth & Zachary are coming over for a bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment