Monday, October 25, 2010

Dolphin Snorkel Adventure 9.22.2010

I'm a bit late in posting this, but it took me awhile to get around to it.
(For this week's usual post, see "Da Da" post below.)
While Chad & I were in Hawaii we went on a dolphin snorkel adventure. We didn't take our phones or cameras on the boat so as not to get them wet. There was a professional photographer on board and he took lots of pictures both above and under water and sold CD's of the trip to all the passengers. It was a great deal and his pictures were great! Here is a highlight of the trip.
We met at the Waianae Boat Harbor and met the Captain and Co-Captain of our boat and all the other passengers.

We got instructions for boat safety and then we headed out. It was misting outside and we were trying to outrun a rainstorm so we headed away from it. I was happy to not get sea sick and enjoyed the cool breeze as the boat headed out.

You can see all the crazy clouds that were shrouding the island while we went in search of dolphins.



Finally, once we got close to the North Shore we saw some dolphins! They were spinner dolphins, which are small and spin up out of the water.



We stopped the boat and all jumped in to snorkel. It was amazing to see the dolphins underwater! The captain dropped us off in front of the pod and we would just watch them swim underneath us. If we were really quiet we could keep them talking to each other!





We then hopped back in the boat and drove further down to get in front of the pod again.




It was probably one of the coolest experiences I have EVER had. I am afraid of the ocean so I was really going out on a limb to do something I was afraid of!

At one point one of the guys on the tour counted over 75 dolphins in the pod!







We jumped in 3 times to swim with the dolphins before we headed about halfway back to just snorkel and look for sea turtles and fish.



This was probably the worst part for me. These little yellow fish just swarmed us and it really freaked me out to have them surrounding me. Some of the other tours feed these fish. Ours didn't, but the fish still swarmed us hoping for food.

After lots of looking we finally spotted a sea turtle. Thankfully he stayed close to the bottom and far away from me. I didn't want this big guy anywhere near me!



Our photographer was an expert snorkeler and he went down deep and while photographing found a small octopus. He brought it up for people to hold. I was not having that, but Chad was excited to hold it.






Then the photographer put the little guy back where he found him and we all boarded the boat to head back to the boat harbor. It was an adventure I will never forget and one of the best memories of our trip to Hawaii!


No comments:

Post a Comment