Monday, November 9, 2009

Pink Eye, A Carnival & Softball

So Riley’s fever last week never came back, thankfully. However, on Thursday he woke up in the morning with a disgusting looking eye. Elizabeth had been diagnosed with pink eye earlier in the week so we feared that was what he had. Chad, who got a flu-like bug on Tuesday night, and ended up staying home sick on Wednesday, took Riley to the doctor on Thursday. She confirmed our fear. Riley did indeed have pink eye. We informed the daycare, as they needed to send a notification out to all of the parents. Chad picked up Riley’s eye drop antibiotics and we started him on those mid-day Thursday. He would need to be on them for 24 hours to no longer be contagious. By this point Chad had been home Tuesday with Riley, Wednesday with himself and Thursday morning with Riley so on Thursday afternoon we asked my Memaw, who happened to be in town staying with my parents, if she would watch Riley. She did and she also watched him for us all day on Friday. We were so lucky to have her in town!!

On Friday night Riley’s daycare was having a fundraiser/carnival. We were not sure until the last minute whether we were going to attend. Chad & I wanted to check on Riley’s eye before we made a decision. He was looking a lot better and so we decided to go to the carnival. At first Riley did not want to go because he was sweeping dead leaves under Nana’s truck and thought that was a lot more fun, but as soon as I told him there would be a bounce house and cake, he was sold and ready to go! The carnival was a lot of fun and they seemed to have a really good turnout! We first went into the fellowship hall where we ate a dinner of carnival food: frito pie, corn dogs and funnel cake. Riley really liked the funnel cake, but was not a fan of the mini corn dogs. After that we went outside where Riley took two turns in the bounce house. He was really having a great time in there and probably could have stayed all day! I am not sure how we coaxed him out; maybe it was to get popcorn as he had a bag of that soon thereafter. We walked around looking at all the carnival games, but Riley did not want to play any of them. We then went and played the cakewalk, where Chad won on his first try! Riley really wanted a chocolate iced cake, but Chad convinced him to get rice krispie treats instead. We then sat on the ground next to the cakewalk and ate our rice krispie treats while we watched all the fun! We then decided to head out since we had to get up early the next day, but before we left we went back in the fellowship hall so we could buy Riley’s art that he had made. He had both painted a canvas (in mostly green) and done some finger painting on a ceramic disk (in mainly blue and yellow.) Chad & I were feeling a little nauseous from all the carnival food, but overall we had a great time!
(Riley being camera shy!)

(Finally turned around, but threw rocks at us! Gotta love 2 year olds!)


(Riley eating popcorn and Daddy with a mouthful of rice krispie treat - and a silly face!)

The next morning we awoke bright and early to get ready for the Jake Remembered Softball Tournament. Chad was playing on a team with his brother and his dad and their first game was at 8am! When we got to the fields it was sunny and looking to be a nice warm day, but before we knew it some clouds came out and really cooled the morning off. We tried to convince Riley to put on his jacket, but he wanted none of that. Last year he was fine with jackets and this year he hates them! Go figure! Riley was also being a true “Daddy’s Boy” and wanted nothing to do with me. So Chad didn’t really get to play much, as when he tried to go out on the field Riley cried in the dugout until he returned. Chad’s team lost both of their games and that meant they were out of the tournament. My work also had a team and they played a game after each of Chad’s games. They lost their first game and won their second, which meant they had to play in the first round of the championships. None of the men from my office could make it back to play though, so we were scrambling for extra players at the last minute. We found some, but they lost that game and were then eliminated from the tournament as well. Chad & I tried to take Riley home for a nap between the regular and championship rounds and he fell asleep in the car on the way home, but as soon as we got him in bed at home, he woke back up and would not go back to sleep. Needless to say, my dreams of a few hours relaxing at home were dashed and Riley and I headed back up to the tournament much earlier than I expected. Chad had to go work in Frisco so he did not make it back with us. The one good thing about Riley not napping was that he calmed down a lot in the afternoon and spent most of the time playing on Nana’s iPhone and sitting in a camping chair. I was not sure how long we would stay and in the second to the last round of the tournament I really started fading fast and decided to take Riley home. He was not acting tired at all, but was asleep in the car less than 2 minutes down the road. That’s what happens when you take a less than 30 minute nap! Unfortunately, he did wake up slightly when we got home, but I got him in his pajamas and rocked him and he fell back to sleep, at which point I took a LONG hot shower to relax and get the softball dust off of me before heading to bed myself.

(Between Daddy's games, having a Cheeto snack!)


(HaHa having a Cheeto snack, and telling us he was eating the Cheetos elegantly, because he had gloves on!)


(Later in the afternoon, playing with Riley Scott and the reclining chair)


(He had so much fun playing in these chairs!)


(Riley's cheese face, and then he wanted to see the picture of himself on the camera, and then he took my camera and tried to take my picture, but couldn't figure out how to push the button.)


(My work team - Team Huff Partners, after our only win of the day)

On Sunday we decided to cancel our usual lunch with Grammy so that we could all relax from Saturday’s tournament and for me, get some things done around the house. I am pretty horrible about waiting until the weekend to do all my chores, which means if we have a busy weekend I don’t have much down time. My mom was telling me yesterday that I need to spread my chores out over the week so I can have some time to relax on the weekend, and I am going to try to do that, but the weeknights just fly by after I have gotten everyone fed, Riley bathed and tried to relax for at least an hour, but we’ll see. I have not been sleeping well at all lately either, which doesn’t help. Not only do I have trouble getting comfortable, but my body usually wakes me up at least once a night to go to the bathroom and then I usually have trouble falling back asleep because Chad is snoring. This can make for some pretty long, pretty rough nights. Chad & I are trying some new tricks to see if I can get him to stop snoring long enough for me to fall asleep because he is also getting frustrated at night with me getting frustrated. Wish us luck!

So yesterday Chad, Riley & I hung out at the house mainly. Riley woke up after 7am and Chad & I tried to ignore him. He eventually got tired of waiting on us and got out of bed, but he would not come into our room, even when I called out to him. I heard him walking around and feared what trouble he was getting into. When I got up to check on him I laughed because he had actually gotten back into bed! But by then we were up! Chad & I paid a few bills and I loved doing this downstairs because Riley sat at the table with me, while Chad sat at the desk and he even colored on his easel while we were busy. After bill paying we all got dressed and went to eat a quick bite of lunch at Taco Cabana, followed by some grocery shopping. After that we went home, unloaded groceries, put Riley down for a nap and then Chad & I relaxed and watched some TV while I finished the laundry. Chad had to go help some friends out at their church at 3:30pm and Riley ended up sleeping until 4:15pm so I was able to catch up on some of my TV shows also. I also took a 30 minute power nap and it was so worth it! By the time Chad came home I was making some dinner and we had a nice evening of playing with Riley and watching TV. Riley did make us both laugh yesterday though because I left him in the bathroom to brush his teeth and obviously did not check on him enough because when Chad went in to get him, Riley had taken the bar soap and was washing the sink countertop! He had it covered in soapy foam! Chad told him that while Mommy appreciated it when he cleaned, he should maybe ask me first before washing the sink! We also had a moment of bad parenting while grocery shopping. Riley had picked up an orange cloth “Warning: Wet Floor” triangle off of the floor of the store. Chad could not get him to put it down and neither could I. I even picked up a box of Cracker Jacks to try and bribe him! Next thing I knew, he had the triangle over his head and was running down the aisle. I almost peed my pants I was laughing so hard! Thankfully, Riley could not see me with the triangle on his head and by the time he took it off I tried my best to compose my face into a serious “Put that down!” look, but I don’t think it was all that effective. He did put it down eventually, but not due to mine or Chad’s stellar parenting!

On a final note Riley showed an increased interest in potty training this weekend. Twice when I got him up out of bed he talked about peeing and so I asked if he wanted to sit on the potty. He did, and while he never went, we practiced putting toilet paper in the toilet afterwards and flushing and so maybe he will actually get the hang of going in the potty also sometime soon. Wish us luck on that front!

No comments:

Post a Comment